African Cup of Nations: Happy return for Ethiopia
Monday 21 January 2013
Ethiopia celebrated their return to the African Cup of Nations after a 33-year absence by holding defending champions Zambia to a 1-1 draw in Nelspruit.
There were around 10,000 Ethiopia fans at the Mbombela Stadium and they hurled vuvuzelas and debris in anger after the first-half sending off of goalkeeper Jemal Tassew. However, Adane Girma's 65th-minute strike lifted their spirits and cancelled out Collins Mbesuma's goal, after Ethiopia's Saladin Seida had missed a penalty.
In the other game in Group C, Alain Traoré equalised with the last kick of the game to earn Burkina Faso a 1-1 draw with Nigeria.
Latest in Sport
Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
Manchester United transfer news: United given new hope in race for Juan Cuadrado as Barcelona talks stall
Manchester United transfer news: Mats Hummels, Daley Blind and Thomas Vermaelen on radar as Louis van Gaal reveals he still wants to sign defender
Liverpool transfer news: Brendan Rodgers plans more Anfield signings this summer
Chelsea transfer news: Jose Mourinho confirms Fernando Torres is staying at Stamford Bridge
- 1 Scientists create transparent mouse complete with see-through organs
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness
- 3 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 4 Putin v Obama: Russian deputy prime minister mocks president with catty pictures on Twitter
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire