African Cup of Nations: Happy return for Ethiopia
Monday 21 January 2013
Ethiopia celebrated their return to the African Cup of Nations after a 33-year absence by holding defending champions Zambia to a 1-1 draw in Nelspruit.
There were around 10,000 Ethiopia fans at the Mbombela Stadium and they hurled vuvuzelas and debris in anger after the first-half sending off of goalkeeper Jemal Tassew. However, Adane Girma's 65th-minute strike lifted their spirits and cancelled out Collins Mbesuma's goal, after Ethiopia's Saladin Seida had missed a penalty.
In the other game in Group C, Alain Traoré equalised with the last kick of the game to earn Burkina Faso a 1-1 draw with Nigeria.
Latest in Sport
William Carvalho to Arsenal? Gunners make new enquiry for £35m rated midfielder
Manchester United transfer news: More signings expected, indicates Ed Woodward
WWE Battleground 2014 results: John Cena and The Miz are the big winners on a night to forget in Tampa, Florida
Liverpool transfer news: Loic Remy, Dejan Lovren and Divock Origi on verge of Anfield moves
Manchester City transfer news: Completed summer deals
- 1 Husband creates spreadsheet detailing wife's 'excuses' for turning down sex
- 2 Saneie Masilela, 9, marries Helen Shabangu, 53 years his senior, for the second time
- 3 UK pirates will get four warning letters a year
- 4 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 5 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?