Cristiano Ronaldo: Was the Portugal striker the saddest man at the World Cup?
Not even a goal could bring a smile to his face
Cristiano Ronaldo has bowed out of the 2014 World Cup. He leaves Brazil with a goal, an assist and three different haircuts to his name, but not a smile.
The world's best player came to the tournament wanting to cement his legendary status. But after his Portugal team capitulated in their first game against Germany it was always an uphill struggle and with CR7 clearly struggling with a niggling injury, he was unable to make the impact he so desired.
He did produce a wicked delivery for Silvestre Varela to head in against the United States and he poked home in the final game against Ghana - but not even those moments were enough to bring a smile from the Real Madrid player.
When this tournament is remembered, if Ronnie comes to mind it will be only of his frowning face as these images show.
Latest in Sport
Luckless Abou Diaby full of confidence as he attempts yet another Arsenal comeback
Arturo Vidal: Midfielder must ask to join Manchester United, say Juventus
Scottie dogs in Commonwealth Games opening ceremony 'disrespectful to Muslims', say Malaysian politicians
Calum Chambers joins Arsenal: Gunners complete £16m transfer of right-back
Manchester United latest: Angel Di Maria move no closer as Juan Mata emerges as Louis van Gaal's favoured No 10 as prospect of signing
- 1 'Women should not laugh in public,' says Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister in morality speech
- 2 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 3 Is Ebola coming to Britain? UK health officials issue warning to doctors as outbreak fears grow
- 4 Richard Dawkins says 'date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse' on Twitter
- 5 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below