De Boer urges winter move for 2022 World Cup
Friday 12 October 2012
Ronald de Boer, who helped Qatar win the right to host the 2022 World Cup, is calling for the tournament to be moved to winter.
The former Netherlands midfielder, who works for Qatar as a football adviser, appealed to the nation's leadership to heed Uefa president Michel Platini's request that the tournament is not staged in the sweltering summer heat.
"We went for the summer, of course... but you have a lot of people doubting that and you look for other possibilities," De Boer said. "And I said already from the start, 'Why not [the winter]?"'
Latest in Sport
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire