England v Chile: Gary Medel tweets picture of humiliating initiation for new team-mates
Three youngsters given bizarre haircuts after joining up with the squad
Wednesday 13 November 2013
Usually you are let off with singing or dancing in front of your new team-mates – but the Chile national team have taken the level of humiliation during an initiation up a notch.
Cardiff City midfielder Gary Medel has tweeted this picture of himself alongside three youth players who, while not part of the official La Roja squad to face England on Friday, have travelled to gain experience with Jorge Sampaoli’s team.
Sebastian Vegas, Roberto Riveros and Carlos Lobos may be highly rated youngsters, but to Medel they are known as something else. "Bienvenidos a La Roja pichones !!! ;)" he wrote under the image, which translates as "Welcome to La Roja little pigeons".
It seems Medel, nicknamed "Pitbull" after his combative playing style, has already made his mark.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal transfer news: Atletico Madrid closing in on Santi Cazorla - reports
Arturo Vidal: Manchester United bid £39m for Juventus midfielder
Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger set to cancel moves for Sami Khedira and Morgan Schneiderlin in favour of Jack Wilshere - reports
Chelsea transfer news: Jose Mourinho wants both Thibaut Courtois and Petr Cech to stay at Stamford Bridge
Sami Khedira, Angel di Maria and Isco among Real Madrid players up for grabs this summer
- 1 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 2 50 books for students to read this summer: From Ernest Hemingway to Gillian Flynn
- 3 McDonald’s removes chicken nuggets from the menu in Hong Kong amid major food scare
- 4 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 5 Joey Barton and Yossi Benayoun become involved in Twitter row over Israel-Gaza conflict