England v Italy team news: Raheem Sterling STARTS in Manaus ahead of Adam Lallana
The Liverpool youngster forces his way into the starting XI despite a lack of game time
Roy Hodgson is gambling on Raheem Sterling, with the Liverpool youngster in the England starting XI ahead of Adam Lallana for the game against Italy.
Hodgson has been talking up Sterling throughout the build-up to the World Cup, commenting on how impressive the 19-year-old has been in training. Unfortunately for the Three Lions he featured little in the warm-up games after being sent-off shortly after his introduction into the game against Ecuador and then being suspended for the game against Honduras.
Read more: It is time to walk the walk - Gerrard
Confirmed: Buffon out
Gerrard v Pirlo - head-to-head analysis
Despite the lack of game time, the England manager hasn't been put off starting him against Italy and the Liverpool player will make just his third start for the Three Lions.
Lallana is the one to make way, with Danny Welbeck starting on the left. Wayne Rooney will play behind Daniel Sturridge while Liverpool duo Jordan Henderson and Steven Gerrard will occupy the deeper midfield roles.
England team to face Italy (4-2-3-1): Hart; Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Baines; Gerrard (c), Henderson; Rooney, Sterling, Welbeck; Sturridge
Italy: Sirigu, Darmian, Paletta, Barzagli, Chiellini, Verratti, Pirlo, De Rossi, Candreva, Balotelli, Marchisio.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
- 2 The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
- 3 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below
- 4 Ross Burden dead: MasterChef and Ready Steady Cook star, dies aged 45
- 5 Businessman charged £75 for three small bottles of water in London hotel