England vs Uruguay World Cup 2014 player ratings: Luis Suarez? Edinson Cavani? Wayne Rooney? Joe Hart? Who was the star man?
Man-for-man marking for England's defeat against Uruguay
England lost a crucial game in Sao Paulo, leaving Roy Hodgson's team facing a mountain to climb in Group D.
Wayne Rooney had England's best chance in a cagey first half, heading against the bar from a Steven Gerrard free-kick.
But the only real moment of quality came from Edinson Cavani, who picked out Luis Suarez with a beautiful cross - the Liverpool man headed home to make it 1-0 just before the break.
England continued to struggle after half-time, failing to create any real chances as they desperately chased an equaliser.
Wayne Rooney finally found himself on the scoresheet in a World Cup match, breaking a 759-minute drought with a simple finish from Glen Johnson's cross with 15 minutes to go.
But England hearts were broken nine minutes later, when Luis Suarez raced through and smashed home his second of the game.
So how did each player get on? Click on the gallery below to see our player ratings...
England now must rely on Italy to win their two remaining games to qualify.
Latest in Sport
- 1 'Women should not laugh in public,' says Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister in morality speech
- 2 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 3 Is Ebola coming to Britain? UK health officials issue warning to doctors as outbreak fears grow
- 4 Richard Dawkins says 'date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse' on Twitter
- 5 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below