Euro 2012 files: The galacticos
Euro 2012 kicks-off in just a matter of weeks and in anticipation The Independent is running down the key factors and people to keep an eye on in Poland and Ukraine this summer.
From free-kick takers to hot-heads, blasts from the past to the youngsters, we'll have it all covered before things kick-off in Warsaw.
Here, we bring you the nine most expensive players bound for Euro 2012. Only players' most recent transfers have been taken into account, meaning that the once £50m-plus Zlatan Ibrahimovich misses out due to his less eye-popping subsequent transfer to AC Milan. Arjen Robben, who once cost in the region of £30m is another who misses out. Yet even without those particular galacticos, the nine here still cost in excess of a staggering total of £320m.
Click here or click 'VIEW GALLERY' to launch our guide.
Other Euro 2012 files...
On Twitter: @simonrice
Latest in Sport
Arsenal vs Manchester City: With Arsene Wenger missing a number of key players, who could start the Community Shield clash?
Malaysian cyclist could face disciplinary action after 'Save Gaza' gloves protest
Chelsea transfer news: Didier Drogba returns to Stamford Bridge on one-year deal
Liverpool transfer news: Reds 'in talks' to sign Benfica winger Nicolas Gaitan as summer spending threatens to exceed £100m
Manchester United: Five things we've learned so far about Louis van Gaal, including his ability to accommodate Juan Mata, Robin van Persie and Wayne Rooney
- 1 Crash victims in car flattened by shipping container emerge with just minor injuries
- 2 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 3 Satellite full of sexually experimental geckos adrift in space, Russia loses control of mission
- 4 Exclusive: Cameron’s Big Society in tatters as charity watchdog launches investigation into claims of Government funding misuse
- 5 Joey Barton and Yossi Benayoun become involved in Twitter row over Israel-Gaza conflict