Euro Diary 2012: Farewell Danny; Poles pilloried
Danny Fullbrook, chief football writer of the Daily Star, lost his long battle with cancer yesterday, at the age of 40. The news reached reporters covering the England team as they travelled to Donetsk.
Danny had been part of that press pack for most of his professional life and one of his close friends, Shaun Custis, chief football writer of The Sun, made a moving speech on the flight.
Poland's press are still fuming at the co-hosts' early elimination from Group A, and following coach Franciszek Smuda's resignation on Sunday, they want the Football Federation's president Grzegorz Lato to follow suit.
A piece in tabloid newspaper Fakt said: "Lato, grab Smuda and be off with you both!" which is also the stance taken by the Polish sports minister, Joanna Mucha.
England v Ukraine, Sweden v France
Czech Republic v Portugal
Germany v Greece
Winner Grp C v Runner-up Grp D
Winner Grp D v Runner-up Grp C
WEDNESDAY 27 JUNE
Winner QF 1 v Winner QF 3
THURSDAY 28 JUNE
Winner QF 2 v Winner QF 4
Sunday 1 July
Winner SF 1 v Winner SF 2
Latest in Sport
- 1 I was a Woman Against Feminism too
- 2 Fifty Shades of Grey movie trailer released: First look at Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey
- 3 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 4 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 5 The Tory donor whose firm is one of Britain’s biggest tax avoiders - with HMRC's blessing