Harry Redknapp open to part-time role for Euro 2012
Thursday 16 February 2012
Harry Redknapp would be open to the idea of managing England at Euro 2012 this summer while remaining in charge of Tottenham.
He insists, however, that it would be "impossible" to marry both jobs on a long-term basis, claiming such a move would hamper the national side's chances of success and be "unfair" on the Tottenham fans who supported him during his recent tax evasion trial.
Redknapp is the overwhelming favourite to succeed Fabio Capello as England boss after the Italian's shock resignation last week.
The Football Association are keen to appoint an Englishman and Redknapp fits the bill having built up his reputation during a stellar three-year period at White Hart Lane.
Redknapp had previously hinted that he would only consider taking charge of England on a long-term basis, but the 64-year-old now appears willing to take on a dual role for a short period.
"Part-time? In the short term I think it's possible for the European Championships," said Redknapp, who then stressed such a move would not be possible after the Euros.
"In the long term it's not possible to manage a club team and manage a national team," he said.
"It's difficult enough to manage in the Premier League without having to worry about managing the England team as well. You want to be watching England players play, you want to be watching the opposition.
"I think whoever they give the job to could only do the one job.
"Maybe for the Euros, it's not such a problem but once the Euros are finished and the new season starts in England, the manager has to be a Premier League manager - if it's someone who manages in the Premier League - or the England manager.
"To do the two jobs, it would be impossible."
The FA met last Friday to draw up a shortlist for the position but they may wait until after England's next friendly on February 29, or even the end of the season, before appointing Capello's successor.
Having guided Spurs to third in the Barclays Premier League this year, and to within one win of the last eight of the FA Cup, the north London club would be very reluctant to allow their manager to leave White Hart Lane before the end of the season.
Redknapp himself also feels indebted to the Spurs faithful, who have been supportive of their manager during and after the 13-day trial which he called "the most draining experience of my life".
"Just to walk away now, when we're in such a good position, it wouldn't be fair, it wouldn't be fair on Tottenham. I have to really keep focusing on Tottenham," Redknapp told Abu Dhabi Sports.
"I have a good job and I work with good people and I have a good team. The fans have been fantastic to me."
Redknapp has been spending time in Abu Dhabi this week in order to recuperate from his trial, at the end of which he was cleared of two counts of cheating the public revenue.
Despite the break, he is well aware that the majority of the nation back home is clamouring for him to replace Capello.
"I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't the popular choice," Redknapp added.
"I know I am, it's been everywhere, in every paper every day But it's not an easy one.
"This week we have Stevenage in the FA Cup, then we have Man United, then we have Arsenal, then we have Chelsea. We have some fantastic games.
"It's an important time for me with Tottenham."
Latest in Sport
Wilfried Zaha grabs rare opportunity to impress new Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal
Manchester United transfer news: Javier Hernandez close to exit as Atletico Madrid admit interest
Calum Chambers joins Arsenal: New £16m signing put through Arsenal initiation as he sings The Kooks in front of team-mates
Manchester United transfer news: Mats Hummels, Thomas Vermaelen and Daley Blind on radar as Louis van Gaal reveals he still wants to sign defender
Seydou Keita refuses Pepe handshake before throwing water bottle prior to Roma vs Real Madrid match
- 2 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 3 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 4 Zayn Malik on Israel-Gaza: One Direction singer bombarded with Twitter death threats after posting #FreePalestine
- 5 'Hello mum, this is going to be hard for you to read ...'