James: I can still play for England in the second tier
Monday 02 August 2010
David James has insisted he still has an international future, despite dropping down to the second tier of English football in moving to Bristol City.
The goalkeeper, who turned 40 yesterday, lost his England place to Rob Green at this summer's World Cup, only to be recalled after one match following the West Ham player's mistake against the US in Rustenburg.
"You could argue that playing in the Championship means that you automatically exlcude yourself from selection," James, who harbours hopes of adding to his 53 England caps in next week's friendly with Hungary, said. "I haven't changed as a goalkeeper over the summer. If my work has been good enough then that shouldn't exclude me from selection.
"I feel good in myself physically, feel good in myself mentally. The thought of retirement is far away. The experience of the World Cup gave me a new lease of life." James could make his Robins debut against Millwall this Saturday.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger set to cancel moves for Sami Khedira and Morgan Schneiderlin in favour of Jack Wilshere - reports
Wilfried Zaha grabs rare opportunity to impress new Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal
Calum Chambers joins Arsenal: New £16m signing put through Arsenal initiation as he sings The Kooks in front of team-mates
Manchester United transfer news: Mats Hummels, Daley Blind and Thomas Vermaelen on radar as Louis van Gaal reveals he still wants to sign defender
Seydou Keita refuses Pepe handshake before throwing water bottle prior to Roma vs Real Madrid match
- 1 Sabina Altynbekova, the girl branded 'too good looking' for volleyball, says social media obsession with her is a 'bit much'
- 2 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 3 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 4 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 5 Zayn Malik on Israel-Gaza: One Direction singer bombarded with Twitter death threats after posting #FreePalestine