Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard set to miss England friendlies this summer
Midfielder will not play again this season
Wednesday 08 May 2013
The England captain, Steven Gerrard, is almost certain to miss the team's two upcoming friendlies due to an operation on his left shoulder later this week which will rule him out for the rest of the season.
England are due to play the Republic of Ireland at Wembley on 29 May and Brazil at the refurbished Maracana on 2 June.
Gerrard will definitely be unavailable for Liverpool's trip to Fulham on Sunday before they host Queen's Park Rangers on the final day of the season.
The 32-year-old midfielder is expected to return in time for his club's pre-season programme.
Latest in Sport
Kevin Garside: Manchester United may have history and tradition but, as David Moyes never realised, a big-time manager always bends such things to his will
Louis van Gaal denies problem with Wilfried Zaha despite Manchester United forward being given no game time
Manchester United latest: Angel Di Maria move no closer as Juan Mata emerges as Louis van Gaal's favoured No 10 as prospect of signing
Arsenal transfer news: Versatile Calum Chambers is a 'gamble', admits Arsene Wenger as Arsenal spending passes £50m
Tour de France 2014: Vincenzo Nibali confirmed as champion as he puts Italy back on the map with triumph
- 1 Secret Cinema: Why were Back to the Future screenings cancelled?
- 2 Christians: The world's most persecuted people
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
- 4 Thatcher ‘was warned of Tory child sex party claims’
- 5 The Simpsons Family Guy trailer: First look at crossover episode after Comic-Con debut