Mackail-Smith ready to step up for Scotland
Wednesday 05 October 2011
Scotland assistant manager Peter Houston believes Brighton & Hove Albion's Craig Mackail-Smith can ensure Scotland do not miss Kenny Miller if the Cardiff City striker fails to overcome a groin injury ahead of Saturday's Euro 2012 qualifier in Liechtenstein.
Miller is Scotland's main doubt for the match, although it emerged yesterday that captain Darren Fletcher is struggling with tonsilitis.
Houston said: "Craig Mackail-Smith is a bit similar to Kenny – he works ever so hard, is very, very quick and, more importantly he is scoring goals and in very, very good form."
Diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes
Latest in Sport
World Cup 2014 final - Germany vs Argentina preview: Why Brazilians don't love their neighbours Argentina any more
Germany vs Argentina World Cup final 2014: Five reasons why Argentina will win the World Cup
Thomas Vermaelen to Manchester United: Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger thwarting Louis van Gaal over transfer
World Cup 2014 final - Germany vs Argentina preview: German team ethic tests Lionel Messi's ability to meet the challenge
Brazil vs Netherlands World Cup 2014: Arrogant Brazilian team may never be forgiven by the fans
- 1 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 2 War is war: Why I stand with Israel
- 3 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
- 4 World Cup 2014: Robin van Persie appears to give his bronze medal to eccentric Netherlands fan moments after being handed it by Sepp Blatter
- 5 Iraq crisis: How Saudi Arabia helped Isis take over the north of the country