Mandela wants to attend World Cup final
Sunday 11 July 2010
Former South African President Nelson Mandela wants to attend today's World Cup final for a while to greet soccer fans, his grandson said.
"He's going to rest and try and get some energy for tonight. He wishes to go to the stadium but we know with his age he can change his mind later on but he has expressed that he is coming to the stadium to come and greet the fans and go back home," Mandla Mandela told Reuters. Nelson Mandela is 91.
Latest in Sport
Kevin Garside: Manchester United may have history and tradition but, as David Moyes never realised, a big-time manager always bends such things to his will
F1 Hungarian Grand Prix: Lewis Hamilton disobeys orders and closes gap to Nico Rosberg in title race
Manchester United latest: Juan Mata emerges as Louis van Gaal's favoured No 10 as prospect of signing Angel Di Maria fails to improve
Arsenal: Arrival of Calum Chambers and David Ospina puts Arsène Wenger's spending past £50m
Tour de France 2014: Vincenzo Nibali confirmed as champion as he puts Italy back on the map with triumph
- 1 Secret Cinema interview: Why were Back to the Future screenings cancelled?
- 2 Christians: The world's most persecuted people
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
- 4 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 5 Iraq crisis: End 'very near' for Christianity after Isis takeover, says Bishop