Maradona treads a cautious path with Veron injury
Argentina v South Korea; Today, 12.30pm, ITV1
Thursday 17 June 2010
The Argentina midfielder Juan Sebastian Veron will not play against South Korea because of a calf injury and will be replaced by Maxi Rodriguez.
His coach Diego Maradona does not want to risk aggravating the injury. "I gave him my reasons and he understood," Maradona said, adding that the rest of the starting line-up would be same as against Nigeria. "I need Veron. We know that if we lose Veron [to a long-term injury], the team would not be the same."
The veteran midfielder could return for the team's final Group B match against Greece on 22 June or perhaps later in the tournament.
South Korea lead the group after beating Greece 2-0 on Saturday, and Manchester United's Park Ji-sung is expected to be the main threat to the Argentines.
Latest in Sport
William Carvalho to Arsenal? Gunners make new enquiry for £35m rated midfielder
Manchester United transfer news: More signings expected, indicates Ed Woodward
CM Punk 'never ever ever' going to return to WWE (so he probably will)
Manchester United transfer news: Completed summer deals
James Rodriguez joins Real Madrid: World Cup star completes £63m move
- 1 UK pirates will get four warning letters a year
- 2 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 3 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 4 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 5 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda