Mourinho plays down England talk
Friday 01 October 2010
Jose Mourinho appears to have ruled out ever becoming England manager by claiming only Englishmen should be appointed to the role.
Former Chelsea boss Mourinho, who took charge of Real Madrid this summer, has long been linked with the England job and has been careful in the past not to dismiss entirely the prospect of taking it in future.
But the 47-year-old has now revealed the only national team he wants to manage is his native Portugal - and that he is not interested in doing so any time soon.
He told BBC's Football Focus programme: "I think national teams are: England for the English and Portugal for the Portuguese.
"I will one day play against England with my Portugal but Portugal has to wait a long time."
Latest in Sport
William Carvalho to Arsenal? Gunners make new enquiry for £35m rated midfielder
Manchester United transfer news: More signings expected, indicates Ed Woodward
CM Punk 'never ever ever' going to return to WWE (so he probably will)
Manchester United transfer news: Completed summer deals
James Rodriguez joins Real Madrid: World Cup star completes £63m move
- 1 UK pirates will get four warning letters a year
- 2 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 3 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 4 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 5 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda