Owen Coyle would welcome approach for Scotland job
Wednesday 07 November 2012
Owen Coyle has admitted that he would be interested in taking over as Scotland boss and would welcome any approach.
The 46-year-old has been out of work since he was dismissed as Bolton manager but is now thought to be one of the favourites to replace Craig Levein.
Levein's unhappy reign as Scotland boss came to an end on Monday night following his side's disastrous start to World Cup qualifying that has left them bottom of their group and without a win in four games.
Coyle was enthusiastic about the position and claimed he had already turned down management offers from several English clubs.
"I'm always open to hearing what someone has to say. It's a great job, that's for sure," Coyle told BBC Radio Scotland.
"It's a fantastic job for whoever's lucky enough to be asked to lead Scotland.
"I've already turned down a couple of approaches down here, but I've listened to what people have had to say.
"And, for me, the next thing has to be the right fit in terms of matching the same ambition as I have.
"There's no doubt there's a good squad of players there."
Although Coyle's solitary international cap in fact came for the Republic of Ireland, he was born in Glasgow and spent the majority of his playing days there.
Despite showing an interest in the job, Coyle expressed sympathy for the departing Levein.
"My first thoughts are with Craig, as I get on very well with Craig," he said.
"I think we all understand how that works in football, and I wish him well for his speedy return to the game.
"I think Scotland are very fortunate that there's many fantastic candidates capable of doing that job."
Latest in Sport
Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
Manchester United transfer news: Mats Hummels, Daley Blind and Thomas Vermaelen on radar as Louis van Gaal reveals he still wants to sign defender
Carl Jenkinson: Arsenal fullback joins West Ham on season-long loan
Liverpool transfer news: Brendan Rodgers plans more Anfield signings this summer
Chelsea transfer news: Jose Mourinho confirms Fernando Torres is staying at Stamford Bridge
- 1 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness
- 2 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 3 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire