Pearce returns fire to Arsenal over Wilshere burnout worries
Friday 27 May 2011
England under-21 manager Stuart Pearce has questioned why Arsène Wenger did not rest Jack Wilshere if the Arsenal manager was so concerned about supposed burnout.
Wilshere withdrew from Pearce's European Championship squad to protect his fitness after being shown statistics by Arsenal's medical department which indicated he was becoming fatigued.
"Every player at this stage of the season would be reasonably tired," said Pearce, who yesterday also lost Micah Richards to a hamstring injury.
"Arsenal have not left him out of the side in the last six weeks, even though the stats have said he's in the red zone."
Latest in Sport
- 1 Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
- 2 The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
- 3 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below
- 4 Ross Burden dead: MasterChef and Ready Steady Cook star, dies aged 45
- 5 Businessman charged £75 for three small bottles of water in London hotel