Rio Ferdinand completes training test
Monday 08 September 2008
England centre-back Rio Ferdinand will travel to Zagreb for the World Cup qualifier against Croatia after coming through a full training session in Barcelona.
The 29-year-old, who missed the win over Andorra at the weekend with a back complaint, prepared with the rest of the squad after staying in Spain before travelling on Tuesday.
It is understood that the Manchester United defender suffered no immediate reaction following the session, raising hopes of facing Slaven Bilic's side in a clash that could set the tone for the campaign to reach South Africa in 2010.
Everton centre-back Joleon Lescott stepped in against Andorra and Matthew Upson is also in the squad should Ferdinand not make it.
Other selection dilemma's for boss Fabio Capello include whether to recall Joe Cole to the starting line-up after his two goals against Andorra.
"We have to play with a passion like England should do but not be naive and throw players forward," said Cole.
He was a substitute at the Olympic Stadium on Saturday along with David Beckham, who could compete with Theo Walcott for a place on the right flank.
Beckham offers Capello experience and was brought on against Andorra to play in a more central role as a defensive midfielder.
Latest in Sport
Luis Suarez to Barcelona: Striker will be unveiled at the Nou Camp on Wednesday, according to reports in Spain
World Cup 2014: Neymar's agent launches scathing attack on Brazil's Luis Felipe Scolari, labelling him 'an old jerk, arrogant, repulsive, conceited and ridiculous'
Loic Remy to Arsenal? Gunners close in on move for QPR and France striker - reports
Angel di Maria: Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal 'monitoring' Real Madrid star
World Cup 2014: The 50 best players of the World Cup
- 1 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 2 Question Time's 'passionate highlander' is the William Wallace of the Better Together campaign
- 3 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 4 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
- 5 The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week