Spain 1 Netherlands 5: Robin van Persie scores incredible header, but where does it rank among the Manchester United striker's best goals?
Manchester United striker connected with a 45-yard pass
Friday 13 June 2014
Seemingly out of nowhere, Robin van Persie met Daley Blind's 45-yard cross with a sublime header to equalise for the Netherlands in their shock 5-1 victory over Spain, leaving goalkeeper Iker Casillas stranded. But where does it rank among the Dutchman's finest goals?
With his sublime effort, Van Persie also became the first Dutchman to score in three successive World Cup finals too. He later added a second, capitalising on an error from Casillas.
1. Charlton 1-2 Arsenal, September 2006
Emmanuel Eboue pinged in a cross, Van Persie acrobatically volleyed it home from outside the area without missing a step. Incredible.
2. Arsenal 1- 0 Everton, Dec 2011
Another astonishing volley. Alex Song chips in a cross which Van Persie runs on to to somehow thrash the ball into the corner. Tim Howard didn't even move.
3. SPAIN v NETHERLANDS, JUNE 2014
Meeting a 45-yard pass to head the ball on for a pass is normal. Leaping to meet a 45-yard pass with a perfectly directed diving header to score is on a different planet.
4. Man Utd 3-0 Aston Villa, April, 2013
Van Persie wrapped up the Premier League for Manchester United with this strike, connecting with Wayne Rooney's long-range pass with an unstoppable first-time finish.
5. Liverpool 1-2 Arsenal, March 2012
In the 90th minute, Song looks up, lofts over his through-ball to Van Persie, who steadies himself before beating Pepe Reina at his near post.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal transfer news: Atletico Madrid closing in on Santi Cazorla - reports
Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger set to cancel moves for Sami Khedira and Morgan Schneiderlin in favour of Jack Wilshere - reports
Arturo Vidal: Manchester United bid £39m for Juventus midfielder
Chelsea transfer news: Jose Mourinho wants both Thibaut Courtois and Petr Cech to stay at Stamford Bridge
Malaysian cyclist could face disciplinary action after 'Save Gaza' gloves protest
- 1 Malaysian cyclist could face disciplinary action after 'Save Gaza' gloves protest
- 2 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 3 Fifty Shades of Grey trailer provokes moral outrage from US parenting groups
- 4 McDonald’s removes chicken nuggets from the menu in Hong Kong amid major food scare
- 5 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda