Strikes continue to disrupt World Cup
Half the World Cup venues are now under police control after the local organising committee confirmed the force had stepped in at Soccer City stadium in Johannesburg following strike action by workers for a private security firm.
Temporary contractors for Stallion Security Consortium had already withdrawn their labour at the World Cup venues in Cape Town, Durban and Ellis Park in Johannesburg and have now done so at the tournament's showpiece stadium, which staged the opening match and will host the final on July 11.
Police took control of security in Port Elizabeth before the tournament began, which means five of the 10 venues are now under police supervision rather than private control.
The remaining stadium venues at Rustenburg, Pretoria, Nelspruit, Polokwane and Bloemfontein are managed by Fidelity security. A spokesman for the South African Police Service's joint operations centre confirmed the police were now in place at Soccer City and said they were "on standby" to take over at other venues as and when required.
A spokesman for the South African Transport and Allied Workers Union (SATAWU) told Press Association Sport last night that a blanket strike would go ahead unless FIFA and the local organising committee intervened "in the national interest".
It has been reported that a number of the temporary contractors taken on by Stallion have been paid off and had their contracts terminated.
The LOC and FIFA are expected to give an update on the situation at their briefing at Soccer City this morning.
Diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes
Latest in Sport
Luke Shaw arrives a week early for Manchester United pre-season training after cutting short post-World Cup holiday
Luis Suarez joins Barcelona: Wilfried Bony, Karim Benzema and the other transfer targets Liverpool should look to replace Suarez with
PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
Brazil vs Netherlands World Cup 2014: A history of the third-place play-offs
Luis Suarez joins Barcelona: Liverpool and Barca confirm the striker has been sold in £75m, five-year transfer
- 1 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 2 Loom bands: Bids for dress made from colourful rubber pass £170,000 on eBay
- 3 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 4 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
- 5 The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week