The Big Picture: The bumpy landing after Serbia's high
Saturday 19 June 2010
1. Milan Jovanovic Serbia's goalscorer against Germany set off on a goal celebration he probably didn't think through.
The 29-year-old left-winger (who will join Liverpool on a free transfer as soon as the World Cup ends) was Serbia's top scorer in qualifying for South Africa, scoring five goals. At his previous club, Belgian side Standard Liège, he was even more prolific, scoring almost a goal every other game. when he scored, he set off to celebrate with...
2.The Serbian fans Yesterday's victory over Germany was made all the sweeter for Serbian fans as it was their first World Cup win since splitting from Montenegro. However things have not always been so sweet – defeat against New Zealand in a recent friendly resulted in dozens of fans invading the pitch, forcing Nemanja Vidic to take to the microphone to call for calm amongst supporters.
3. Where has he gone? But the rest of Jovanovic's team-mates were forced to celebrate without him as he disappeared – behind the advertising hoarding, there turned out to be a nasty drop.
4. Down but not booked A little shaken, Jovanovic emerged unscathed – and unbooked. A lucky escape, since New Zealand's Winston Reid was booked for taking his shirt off after scoring against Slovakia on Tuesday. A little red in the face, but at least there was no red card.
Latest in Sport
Manchester United transfer news: Javier Hernandez close to exit as Atletico Madrid admit interest
Manchester United transfer news: Mats Hummels, Thomas Vermaelen and Daley Blind on radar as Louis van Gaal reveals he still wants to sign defender
Scottie dogs in Commonwealth Games opening ceremony 'disrespectful to Muslims', say Malaysian politicians
Divock Origi joins Liverpool before immediately being loaned back to Lille
Seydou Keita refuses Pepe handshake before throwing water bottle prior to Roma vs Real Madrid match
- 1 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 2 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 3 'Women should not laugh in public,' says Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister in morality speech
- 4 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 5 HSBC closes bank accounts belonging to Muslim clients in the UK