Toni Duggan apologises for 'blacking up' for fancy dress party after Manchester City striker goes as 'Whoopi Goldberg in Sister Act'
Thursday 06 March 2014
Manchester City striker Toni Duggan scored for England women against Italy, just hours after she was forced to apologise for "blacking up" at a fancy dress party.
The 22-year-old, who is an ambassador for anti-racism group Kick It Out, painted her face black and dressed as a nun to imitate Whoopi Goldberg in the film Sister Act.
She issued an apology as the Football Association asked for photos of the party to be removed from players' social media accounts. Kick It Out said it will stand by the player and is thought to believe the incident has been blown out of proportion.
On the pitch in Larnaca, goals from Birmingham's Karen Carney and Duggan allowed England to begin their Cyprus Cup defence with a 2-0 win over Italy.
Carney smashed home a penalty on the stroke of half-time after Duggan had been felled. Manchester City's new signing then sealed the win on 62 minutes with a surging run and precise finish.
England next take on Finland on Friday.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger set to cancel moves for Sami Khedira and Morgan Schneiderlin in favour of Jack Wilshere - reports
Wilfried Zaha grabs rare opportunity to impress new Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal
Calum Chambers joins Arsenal: New £16m signing put through Arsenal initiation as he sings The Kooks in front of team-mates
Manchester United transfer news: Mats Hummels, Daley Blind and Thomas Vermaelen on radar as Louis van Gaal reveals he still wants to sign defender
Seydou Keita refuses Pepe handshake before throwing water bottle prior to Roma vs Real Madrid match
- 1 Sabina Altynbekova, the girl branded 'too good looking' for volleyball, says social media obsession with her is a 'bit much'
- 2 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 3 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 4 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 5 Zayn Malik on Israel-Gaza: One Direction singer bombarded with Twitter death threats after posting #FreePalestine