Under-21 Championship: England dodge main dangers
Wednesday 28 November 2012
England received a kind draw for next summer's European Under-21 Championship finals, in a group with hosts Israel, Norway and Italy.
Stuart Pearce's team thereby avoided the defending champions Spain, who helped knock England out of the 2011 tournament at the group stage, Germany, who beat them in the 2009 final, and the Netherlands, who won a semi-final penalty shoot-out two years earlier.
England renew their rivalry with Norway, whom they pipped to top spot in their qualifying group, while Italy won their group before beating Sweden in the play-offs. Pearce, said: "We will have to be at it from the off to beat the very best."
Latest in Sport
- 1 Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
- 2 The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
- 3 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below
- 4 Ross Burden dead: MasterChef and Ready Steady Cook star, dies aged 45
- 5 Businessman charged £75 for three small bottles of water in London hotel