United States vs Portugal team news World Cup 2014: Cristiano Ronaldo STARTS for Portugal, Clint Dempsey leads the line for USA
Star player has been suffering with a knee injury all tournament
Sunday 22 June 2014
Cristiano Ronaldo will start for Portugal against USA in their must-not-lose Group G contest.
The world player of the year hasn't been able to shake a lingering left knee injury since coming to Brazil, but trained normally with the rest of his team-mates yesterday ahead of tonight's match.
Clint Dempsey, the former Fulham man, leads the line for the USA. The veteran striker broke his nose in USA's 2-1 victory over Ghana but will start.
Despite his "dream" of a goal against Ghana, US defender John Brooks is on the bench.
Portugal: Beto; Bruno Alves, Pereira, A.Almeida, Costa; Veloso, Meireles, Moutinho; Nani, Ronaldo, Postiga.
USA: Howard; Johnson, Cameron, Besler, Beasley; Beckerman, Jones; Bedoya, Bradley, Zusi; Dempsey.
Should Portugal lose in the Manaus jungle, they will be knocked out of the World Cup.
Latest in Sport
- 1 I was a Woman Against Feminism too
- 2 Fifty Shades of Grey movie trailer released: First look at Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey
- 3 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 4 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 5 The Tory donor whose firm is one of Britain’s biggest tax avoiders - with HMRC's blessing