Women's Euro 2009: Aluko's double deflates hosts and puts England into semis
Friday 04 September 2009
Two goals from Eniola Aluko helped England women beat the hosts Finland to reach the semi-finals of Euro 2009 yesterday.
Hope Powell's side silenced the Finnish fans in Turku when Aluko slotted the ball into the far corner to open the scoring in the 14th minute. Fara Williams added a second from close range just after the break to make it 2-0 but Finland pulled a goal back on 66 minutes through substitute Annica Sjolund.
However, England's two-goal lead was immediately restored when Aluko ran through straight from kick-off to fire inside the post. Linda Sallstrom reduced the deficit, again from a corner from close range, but Finland could not find an equaliser despite laying siege to the England goal.
Latest in Sport
Louis van Gaal denies problem with Wilfried Zaha despite Manchester United forward being given no game time
Calum Chambers: Who is Arsenal's £16m right-back target?
Manchester United latest: Angel Di Maria move no closer as Juan Mata emerges as Louis van Gaal's favoured No 10 as prospect of signing
Arsenal transfer news: Versatile Calum Chambers is a 'gamble', admits Arsene Wenger as Arsenal spending passes £50m
Everton transfer news: Romelu Lukaku deal ON, Roberto Martinez assures fans
- 1 Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
- 2 The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
- 3 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below
- 4 Ross Burden dead: MasterChef and Ready Steady Cook star, dies aged 45
- 5 Businessman charged £75 for three small bottles of water in London hotel