World Cup 2014 Video: Germany v Algeria preview - Germans fully focused on second round clash against surprise package Algeria
Video: The Independent's Ian Herbert is kicked out of his Holiday Inn room to make way for the Germany team
Monday 30 June 2014
It says a lot that the German team are neither phased nor riled by their rather sparse and tiny rooms at the Holiday Inn, Porto Alegre.
With so much fuss made by the Football Association to ensure the England team experienced a luxurious stay in Rio de Janeiro in the Royal Tulip hotel, it was refreshing to see the German team take up cramped rooms in Porto Alegre's Holiday Inn ahead of their knockout round clash with Algeria on Monday.
For the consistently ambitious and high-achieving German team, football comes first.
The Independent's Ian Herbert reports from the Brazilian city, where he was turfed out of his small room at the Holiday Inn and reassigned to a much larger suite to make room for the German team, who were not bothered by their surroundings and more focused on the game against Algeria.
The German media are concerned that star midfielders Sami Khedira and Bastian Schweinsteiger are both not fully fit for Monday night's game. Many believe the team cannot prevail at the 2014 World Cup without either Khedira or Schweinsteiger featuring in the squad.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 2 UK pirates will get four warning letters a year
- 3 Fight Club 2: Chuck Palahniuk sequel is a 'meta-fictional comment on the cultural response to the original'
- 4 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 5 Israel-Gaza conflict: Deadly flechette shells 'used by Israeli military in Gaza Strip’