World Cup 2014 video: Top 10 free kicks from qualifying
VIDEO: With the World Cup Finals under a week away, we look back at the best free kicks from the qualifying rounds
Friday 06 June 2014
We can all remember where we were when David Beckham scored that last-minute free-kick against Greece in 2001 to send England to the World Cup Finals the following year, where a Ronaldinho free-kick caught David Seaman off-guard and sent England packing in the quarter-finals.
Beckham repeated his free-kick brilliance at the 1998 World Cup against Colombia as well as against Ecuador in 2006. Perhaps England’s Wayne Rooney, who scored a great free-kick against San Mario in a qualifying match, can do the same against Italy, Uruguay or Costa Rica in Brazil.
However, the qualifying stages showed the free-kick prowess of Uruguay, who England play on 19 June, with Manchester United target Edinson Cavani scoring a glorious effort against Jordan.
Other notable free-kicks include two in one match between Serbia and Wales, with Aleksandar Kolarov making his long-range shot seem effortless, while Gareth Bale showed exactly why he is now a Champions League winner.
Bale’s former team mate Jan Vertonghen also showed his free-kick mastery against Wales during the qualifying rounds, with his young Belgium side considered to be a dangerous packaged at this year’s World Cup.
Watch the video above for other efforts from Croatia’s Ivan Rakitic, Argentina’s Lionel Messi, Iceland’s Gylfi Sigurdsson, Russia’s Aleksandr Kerzhakov and Poland’s Piotr Zielinski.
Latest in Sport
Commonwealth Games 2014: It ain’t London 2012, but Glasgow aims to go ‘with a roar’
Loic Remy to Liverpool: Striker undergoes medical in Boston ahead of £8.5m move
Louis van Gaal gets tough with Manchester United players, with Darren Fletcher and Luke Shaw berated in public and Phil Jones left looking bemused
CM Punk 'never ever ever' returning to WWE (so he probably will)
James Rodriguez joins Real Madrid: World Cup top scorer completes £63m move
- 1 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 2 Louis van Gaal gets tough with Manchester United players, with Darren Fletcher and Luke Shaw berated in public and Phil Jones left looking bemused
- 3 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 4 Peaches Geldof inquest: Tragic final moments of socialite's life reveal she lied to husband about failed heroin tests
- 5 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media