World Cup Diary
South Korean politicians jump on bandwagon following victory over Poland
Wednesday 05 June 2002
* Harold Wilson quipped that England only won the World Cup when there was a Labour government and blamed his General Election defeat in 1970 on England's World Cup loss to West Germany. Now South Korea's politicians are vying to exploit World Cup fever in the build-up to elections on 13 June. The former Prime Minister, Jin Nyum, said: "Although Guus Hiddink was distrusted at first, he has saved Korean football. I was criticised too, but I made the economy stronger," he said, lighting his pipe and slipping on a Gannex coat.
* Singapore have announced a programme aimed at joining in the fun in 2010. "Goal 2010" has been launched with the aim of qualifying as Asia's fifth-best team. Watch out for the Noodle Boyz...
* The Polish ambassador to South Korea, Tadeusz Chomicki, tried to be diplomatic when a Korean scribe asked him about the Poland defender Tomasz Hajto's status as the dirtiest player in the Bundesliga with Schalke 04. "He does not find pleasure in eliminating his rivals, but sometimes he responds too tough and a lot of guys who meet him on the field fall off the wall."
* South Korea's slogan for the new stadium in Seoul ("Asia's biggest stadium") is not quite right. With a capacity of 65,000, it not only falls 7,370 short of the final venue in Yokohama, Japan, but comes nowhere near the 100,000 seats in North Korea's Pyongyang national stadium.
Diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes
Latest in Sport
Germany vs Argentina World Cup final 2014: Five reasons why Argentina will win the World Cup
World Cup Final 2014: Choosing between Germany and Argentina is an impossible choice
Luke Shaw arrives a week early for Manchester United pre-season training after cutting short post-World Cup holiday
PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
Luis Suarez joins Barcelona: Wilfried Bony, Karim Benzema and the other transfer targets Liverpool should look to replace Suarez with
- 2 Loom bands: Bids for dress made from colourful rubber pass £170,000 on eBay
- 3 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 4 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
- 5 The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week