Football:Yeovil's latest victims

Click to follow
The Independent Online
YEOVIL, Southport and Hull City pulled off the biggest surprises in the second round of the FA Cup as the Nationwide and non-League survivors desperate for a big third-round payday at Old Trafford, Anfield or Highbury scuffled like panic-stricken Christmas shoppers.

Actually the result from the Huish, a 2-0 win for Yeovil over Northampton Town, was a business-as-usual affair as the Cobblers became the West Country side's 15th League victims. Steve Thompson put them ahead in the 14th minute. "I threw a leg at it and it went in," he said. "I don't quite know how but justice was done as we should have had a penalty for hands." Warren Patmore put the result beyond doubt eight minutes from the end.

Southport, who went out of the League in 1978, also built up a two-goal lead, at Third Division Mansfield Town, through David Gamble's 25th-minute penalty and Brian Ross's strike a minute into the second half. Tony Lormor pulled one back but the Conference side, for whom the player-manager Paul Futcher, 42, played for a hour after coming on as a substitute, clung on and it ended 2-1.

Hull City, rock-bottom of the entire League, pulled off a memorable 2- 1 win against the Second Division promotion contenders Luton Town at Kenilworth Road. Goals by Ben Morley and Rob Dewhurst ended a miserable week for the Hatters, who were knocked out of the Worthington Cup on Tuesday.

Stoke City, the Second Division leaders, lost 1-0 to Third Division Swansea City at the Vetch Field. Richard Appleby supplied the crucial strike four minutes from half-time.

Third Division Plymouth Argyle, fielding six reserve or youth-team players at Second Division Wycombe, who were a Conference side themselves only five years ago, fell a goal behind after 31 minutes. But a Paul McCarthy own goal 14 minutes from time kept Argyle in this afternoon's draw.

In the Tennents Scottish Cup first round, Partick Thistle won the hard way at Arbroath. One-nil up through Paul Tosh after eight minutes, they had David Kennedy sent off 28 minutes later. A Robert Dunn goal confirmed Thistle's dominance but they then had Des McKeown sent off on the hour and finished with eight men as James McKenzie joined the by now overcrowded early bath. Thistle still won 2-1.