Athletics: IAAF may help Radcliffe
Wednesday 26 February 2003
The world governing body of athletics, the International Association of Athletics Federations, is willing to change the schedule of next year's Olympics to allow Paula Radcliffe to attempt a historic distance double.
Radcliffe is considering running both the marathon and the 10,000 metres. Winning both has only been achieved by the Czech Emil Zatopek at the 1952 Helsinki Games, when he also won the 5,000 metres.
The women's marathon in Athens is scheduled for 22 August, with the 10,000m final five days later. That would rule out a double bid as it takes athletes several weeks to recover from a marathon.
But Nick Davies, a spokesman for the IAAF, said: "The dates are not 100 per cent set."
Latest in Sport
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
£7 - £10 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This care provider is looking for Home ...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's leading web des...
£27000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A growing, successful, friendly...
£16000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This family owned, independent ...