English athletes assured over Commonwealth Games safety

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Security at the Commonwealth Games in Delhi in October will ensure the safety of English athletes, sports bodies are to be told.

Commonwealth Games England (CGE) are to write to all governing bodies providing reassurances about security and making it clear there is no intention of pulling out of the event.



There have been fears about the Games following a number of terrorist incidents in India, most recently bomb attacks before an Indian Premier League cricket game in Bangalore.



A spokeswoman for Commonwealth Games England told Press Association Sport: "We are writing to the sports with a synopsis of the security paper put to our board recently and that includes the ongoing security advice and the security that was present for the test events in Delhi last month.



"The security at those events was first-class and this should be reassuring to all the sports.



"There has never been any suggestion by us that we would not send a team and we are definitely going."



Around 400 English athletes are expected to take part in the event, which starts on October 3. Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales will send separate teams.



Sir Andrew Foster, the chairman of CGE, told the BBC: "England's intention is to compete at the Games and we are currently making arrangements to create the best possible environment for success in Delhi.



"Security is something we and the Delhi 2010 organising committee take very seriously. We have taken, and will continue to take, expert advice on the situation."



Comments