Oscar Pistorius resumes 'low key' training - but with no competitive return in sight

Official statement say focus for Paralympian who allegedly murdered his girlfriend 'remains entirely on the court case'

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Oscar Pistorius, the Paralympic “blade runner” accused of murdering his girlfriend of Valentine’s Day this year, has returned to training.

The South African has released footage of himself donning the carbon fibre blades that made him a global sporting icon and proceeding to jog around a Pretoria running track.

An official statement from the family’s spokesman confirmed that the 26-year-old has resumed a “low-key track routine” but maintained he has no plans to return to competitive racing despite being cleared to do so while awaiting trial.

Anneliese Burgess said:  “He is not contemplating a formal return to athletics and this training is not with the aim of preparing for competition.”

“His focus, at this point, remains entirely on the court case. His family, and those close to him, have encouraged him to spend a few hours a week on the track to assist him in finding the necessary mental and emotional equilibrium to process his trauma and prepare for the trial.”

The gold-medal winner was seen running for the first time since he allegedly shot and killed his model partner Reeva Steenkamp in April, when a group of school children snapped a picture of him training at the University of Pretoria.

In today’s footage, Pistorius can be seen wearing running gear made by Nike, one of the sponsors that dropped his contract after the shooting, and looking sombre as he moves around the track.

His agent, Peet van Zyl, said the activity was "just to have a bit of a run, to feel what it would feel like if he put the blades on again".

"It's still very tough on him for the sad loss he's suffered with Reeva's tragic death,” he said. “I think that's going to be most important part for us to work through, is to get him eventually focussed and ready for training.”

Pistorius’ case is due to resume in August following a series of blunders by the prosecution that marred the original hearings. The Paralympian denies the charge of murder, claiming he shot Miss Steenkamp in their bathroom after mistaking her for burglar.