South Africa suspends officials over Semenya
Friday 06 November 2009
South Africa's Olympic body, SASCOC, has suspended the president, board and members of Athletics South Africa over the handling of 800 metres world champion Caster Semenya's gender tests.
"The suspended individuals will appear before a disciplinary inquiry to answer charges of bringing ASA, the sport of athletics, SASCOC and sport in general into disrepute," a statement said. SASCOC added it was also considering action against the International Association of Athletics Federations for its "disregard" of Semenya's privacy.
The world governing body has said medical experts will examine the results of gender tests on Semenya although a final decision is not expected before an IAAF council meeting on 20-21 November.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
£70000 - £80000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Group Head of Marketing and Communic...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: Level 3 Nursery Nurse required for ...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: L3 Nursery Nurses urgently required...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: We have a number of schools based S...