Basketball: Lasker's late show denies Guildford
Monday 15 January 2007
Guildford Heat's charge to their first British Basketball League Championship title stuttered at The Pavilions on Saturday night, when Plymouth Raiders capitalised on their first home game in nine fixtures with a nail-biting 82-77 victory.
Andrew Lasker scored three free-throws in the final 21 seconds to inflict a first defeat on the Heat in 13 games, in fact since they last visited The Pavilions for a BBL Trophy game.
Guildford bounced back last night, beating Worcester Wolves 89-76, although it took a 14-3 run in the fourth quarter to break the resistance of the team locked to the foot of the BBL table. Dan Gilbert led Guildford with 27 points.
The victory reopened a two-point lead for the Heat over Sheffield Sharks and Plymouth, but Guildford still have two games in hand over the Sharks and four over the Raiders. Plymouth lost 80-72 to the Sharks on Friday.
Scottish Rocks moved into fifth place in the table by snatching a 90-88 victory at Milton Keynes Lions last night despite trailing 85-78 with two minutes to play. Sterling Davis' three-pointer sparked a 10-0 run for an 88-85 lead for the Rocks and the Lions' hopes died when Kevin Griffin missed three free-throws 10 seconds from time.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
£50000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: Senior Automation QA ...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£31000 - £43000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£27000 - £45000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Lambeth...