Boxing: Oakey ready for Barney's test
Saturday 11 October 2003
Tony Oakey is not one of British boxing's best known world champions but he is an honest campaigner and he is often in exciting fights.
Tonight will be no exception when Oakey risks his World Boxing Union light-heavyweight title for the fourth time in an unexpected local derby against Southampton's Matthew Barney at the Mountbatten Centre in Oakey's home town of Portsmouth.
Barney, who is the current British super-middleweight champion, finally agreed terms for tonight's fight less than 48 hours ago after a succession of opponents fell away with illness or were ruled out because of incompetence. Oakey against Barney is potentially one of the most entertaining all-British fights this year.
In addition to the two fighters coming from rival south coast cities there will be an intriguing confrontation between siblings Frank and Eugene Maloney. Frank will be in Oakey's corner and his younger brother Eugene will be in Barney's corner.
In an ideal world Oakey against Barney would be taking place at a far larger venue, but as the days past this week and a crisis appeared over the quality of Oakey's planned opponents there was no other option but to bring in Barney.
* Welshman Enzo Maccarinelli has won the prestigious Young Boxer Of The Year award, voted for by members of the British Boxing Writers' Club. The 23-year-old Swansea cruiserweight joins an illustrious list of recent winners including compatriot Joe Calzaghe, Ricky Hatton and Alex Arthur. Maccarinelli claimed the vacant WBU cruiserweight title from Bruce Scott in Cardiff in June.
Latest in Sport
Pornhub: Cheeky Liverpool fan uploads Philippe Coutinho wonder-goal video to adult website
Watch the moment a basketball player reassures a small boy after a mass brawl erupted on court
Eden Hazard didn't like the champagne on offer in the Chelsea dressing room
Jon Stewart brings The Daily Show to WWE Raw as Seth Rollins pays the price for feud with TV presenter
Why Manchester City could turn to Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers if Manuel Pellegrini is dismissed
- 1 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 2 Japanese island overrun with cats after population explodes
- 3 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 4 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 5 Average penis size revealed: Scientists attempt to find what is 'normal' to reassure concerned men
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
£7800 - £13455 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A career opportunity has become ...
£17000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Due to the consistent growth of...
£18000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An opportunity exists for an ex...
£20000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An opportunity exists for an ou...