Boxing: Oakey ready for Barney's test
Saturday 11 October 2003
Tony Oakey is not one of British boxing's best known world champions but he is an honest campaigner and he is often in exciting fights.
Tonight will be no exception when Oakey risks his World Boxing Union light-heavyweight title for the fourth time in an unexpected local derby against Southampton's Matthew Barney at the Mountbatten Centre in Oakey's home town of Portsmouth.
Barney, who is the current British super-middleweight champion, finally agreed terms for tonight's fight less than 48 hours ago after a succession of opponents fell away with illness or were ruled out because of incompetence. Oakey against Barney is potentially one of the most entertaining all-British fights this year.
In addition to the two fighters coming from rival south coast cities there will be an intriguing confrontation between siblings Frank and Eugene Maloney. Frank will be in Oakey's corner and his younger brother Eugene will be in Barney's corner.
In an ideal world Oakey against Barney would be taking place at a far larger venue, but as the days past this week and a crisis appeared over the quality of Oakey's planned opponents there was no other option but to bring in Barney.
* Welshman Enzo Maccarinelli has won the prestigious Young Boxer Of The Year award, voted for by members of the British Boxing Writers' Club. The 23-year-old Swansea cruiserweight joins an illustrious list of recent winners including compatriot Joe Calzaghe, Ricky Hatton and Alex Arthur. Maccarinelli claimed the vacant WBU cruiserweight title from Bruce Scott in Cardiff in June.
Latest in Sport
Diego Costa injury: Chelsea striker a doubt for Everton match after suffering muscle injury
Mario Balotelli posts hilarious Beatles picture on Instagram as he awaits Liverpool debut
Arsenal vs Besiktas player ratings: Alexis Sanchez? Jack Wilshere? Mesut Ozil? Who was the star man at the Emirates Stadium?
Champions League draw: Liverpool meet Real Madrid, but should they fear facing the reigning champions?
William Carvalho to Manchester United: Midfielder on the cards for Louis van Gaal after Arturo Vidal doubts grow
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Joan Rivers: 'Palestinians deserve to be dead'
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
£10000 - £15000 per annum: Randstad Education Cambridge: Nursery assistants re...
£20000 - £30000 per annum + OTE £40 - £50K first year: SThree: SThree Group an...
£55000 - £60000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Corporate Marketing Communications M...
£400 - £450 per day + competitive: Orgtel: My client, a leading bank, is curre...