Boxing: Oakey ready for Barney's test
Saturday 11 October 2003
Tony Oakey is not one of British boxing's best known world champions but he is an honest campaigner and he is often in exciting fights.
Tonight will be no exception when Oakey risks his World Boxing Union light-heavyweight title for the fourth time in an unexpected local derby against Southampton's Matthew Barney at the Mountbatten Centre in Oakey's home town of Portsmouth.
Barney, who is the current British super-middleweight champion, finally agreed terms for tonight's fight less than 48 hours ago after a succession of opponents fell away with illness or were ruled out because of incompetence. Oakey against Barney is potentially one of the most entertaining all-British fights this year.
In addition to the two fighters coming from rival south coast cities there will be an intriguing confrontation between siblings Frank and Eugene Maloney. Frank will be in Oakey's corner and his younger brother Eugene will be in Barney's corner.
In an ideal world Oakey against Barney would be taking place at a far larger venue, but as the days past this week and a crisis appeared over the quality of Oakey's planned opponents there was no other option but to bring in Barney.
* Welshman Enzo Maccarinelli has won the prestigious Young Boxer Of The Year award, voted for by members of the British Boxing Writers' Club. The 23-year-old Swansea cruiserweight joins an illustrious list of recent winners including compatriot Joe Calzaghe, Ricky Hatton and Alex Arthur. Maccarinelli claimed the vacant WBU cruiserweight title from Bruce Scott in Cardiff in June.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal and Puma unveil world's first left-footed football
Italy vs England player ratings: Did Andros Townsend's goal see him beat Harry Kane and Wayne Rooney to top marks?
WWE Raw results: Brock Lesnar suspended for post-Wrestlemania 31 rampage after losing title to Seth Rollins
Raheem Sterling interview: No amount of money can convince Sterling to stay at Liverpool
Liverpool injury news: Raheem Sterling, Daniel Sturridge, Adam Lallana and Dejan Lovren expected to be ready for Arsenal clash
- 1 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 2 Google April Fools': company unveils backwards search engine and huggable digital assistant
- 3 I might be an MP, but that doesn't stop me fighting sexism with my breasts
- 4 April Fools' Day 2015: The best hoax news stories from around the internet
- 5 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
Katie Hopkins reported to the police for race hatred by Labour MP Simon Danczuk after tweet about Pakistani men
£18000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Working closely with the market...
£20000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A reputable company, famed for ...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group has been engaged by a highly resp...