Fishing Lines: Angling for answers in sea of confusion
Sunday 31 December 2006
Those lazy columnists, too idle to search out a proper subject worthy of debate, tend to round off the year with a quiz. So here's mine...
1. What did Harold Degen of Ipswich, Australia, find on his front lawn after a shower of rain? A About 800 sardines. B The world's largest cane toad. C A fish head. D An antique carved ivory shark.
2. Which of these people is not an angler? A David Seaman. B Nick Faldo. C Dame Diana Rigg. D Ross Kemp.
3. What is the planned title of my book (assuming I ever get round to finishing it)? A The Best of Keith Elliott. B The Worst of Keith Elliott. C Sex and the Single Skate. D Lines from Keith Elliott.
4. How many times has Grahame King broken the British barbel record with the same fish? A Two. B Three. C Four. D Five.
5. What did Thomas Raynold claim he saw near Pendine, Carmarthenshire, in 1603? A A mermaid. B A sea monster. C A whale with legs. D The first recorded Welsh salmon.
6. Who has been appointed as the National Federation of Anglers' ambassador for angling? A David Seaman. B Dean Macey. C Roger Daltrey. D Ian Botham.
7. If the Latin name for a pollack is pollachius pollachius, a sole is solea solea and a huchen is hucho hucho, then what is the Latin name for a wahoo? A Wahoo wahoo. B Wahoo wahey. C Acanthocybium solandri. D Wahus wahus.
8. What is keen angler Chris Tarrant's favourite fish? A Trout. B Salmon. C Cod. D Carp.
9. Marine biologists have just discovered a new species of shark that: A Walks along the ocean floor on its fins. B Eats only plant-life. C Is totally blind. D Is smarter than the average primary school child.
10. What sort of fish is a Jenny Haniver? A A fake, made up by mutilating a ray to resemble a winged sea monster with a human head. B A Canadian species of trout. C A small, brightly coloured tropical species mainly found in South America. D A type of goldfish.
11. How many eggs does a large cod produce? A More than 500,000. B More than 1 million. C More than 11 million. D There aren't any large cod left, thanks to the EU fishery policy.
12. How many times did apprentices' contracts specify that they were forced to eat Thames salmon in the 1700s? A Twice a week. B It never happened. C Four times a week. D Six times a week.
13. What was Guillaume of Redditch's most famous invention? A A whistle that was supposed to attract fish. B A rod holder for one-armed fishermen. C A bicycle whose frame incorporated a complete fishing set. D A float with a flag that popped up when a fish grabbed the bait.
Answers: A; D; C; B (but an extra point for who cares?); A; B; C; D; A; A; C (half a point for D); B; C.
Your rating: 0-3, goldfish; 4-8, kipper; 9-11, salmon; 12 or more, you can do this quiz next year.
Marvel has released the first teaser trailer a week early after it leaked online
Latest in Sport
Anderlecht vs Arsenal match report: Kieran Gibbs and Lukas Podolski pounce as Arsenal leave it late
How Real Madrid started copying Barcelona's old pass masters, and began reaping the rewards
Liverpool vs Real Madrid player ratings: Was Cristiano Ronaldo the star man? And how did Mario Balotelli fare?
Liverpool vs Real Madrid match report: Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema run Reds ragged at Anfield
Arsenal player ratings
- 1 Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
- 2 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 3 Banksy not arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure' for paralysis
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
£90 - £140 per day + Mileage and Expenses: Randstad Education Leeds: Sixth for...
£95 - £105 per day: Randstad Education Plymouth: Randstad Education Plymouth i...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + benefits and bonus: Ashdown Group: SQL Developer -...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + benefits and bonus: Ashdown Group: SQL Developer ...