Amir Khan has said he will not be fighting the pound-for-pound number one Floyd Mayweather Jnr any time soon.
In a series of tweets posted by the British fighter on Friday night, Khan explained how there had been no response from the Mayweather camp and that any chances of a bout with the world light-middleweight champion would appear to be over.
Khan had confirmed in January that a contract was signed for the two to meet in Las Vegas. ‘Money’ Mayweather, however, asked his Twitter followers to decide which opponent he should take on, Khan or Argentine boxer Marcos René Maidana.
In Khan’s tweets, the Bolton man wrote how he expected Mayweather to fight Maidana instead and that he had been "disrespected" by the American champion.
Khan tweeted: "No response from Mayweather or his team. Fights not happening. I should of taken the title fight last December against Alexander..."
"Very disrespected by his team. Wasted my time. Good luck to Maidana, against Mayweather.
"Can I apologise to the thousands of people who are let down. You me and everyone wanted the Mayweather fight. He's running scared."
Khan had signed a new deal in December that should have paved the way for a bout with the undefeated Mayweather. The British fighter also beat Maidana on point in 2010, suggesting he would be a better opponent for Mayweather this time around but, according to Khan, it is not to be.
Talking about the prospect of Mayweather taking on Maidana, Khan said: 'If he wants to face someone I've beaten then so be it. He wants to fight someone who makes him look good but styles make fights.'