Boxing: Dereck Chisora issued new license following David Haye brawl
Tuesday 12 March 2013
Dereck Chisora has regained his British Boxing Board of Control licence a year after it was withdrawn following his behaviour in Germany last February.
The Finchley heavyweight found himself in hot water over a number of misdemeanours in Munich, not least a press conference brawl with London rival David Haye.
The Board withdrew his licence to box after a hearing on March 14 last year and the Zimbabwe-born fighter had to fight using a Luxembourg licence when he and Haye settled their feud in the ring last summer.
However, Chisora has now been reissued with a licence ahead of his April 20 comeback fight, according to promoter Frank Warren.
Chisora, 29, was roundly condemned for his behaviour when he unsuccessfully challenged Vitali Klitschko for the WBC heavyweight title in early 2012.
Having already slapped Klitschko at their weigh-in and spat water in the face of his opponent's brother, Wladimir, Chisora became embroiled in a distasteful brawl with Haye in the post-fight press conference.
The two men met in the ring at Upton Park in July last year to settle their argument but controversially had to use Luxembourg licenses, due to Chisora's being withdrawn and Haye not holding one having technically retired.
Former WBA champion Haye stopped Chisora in five rounds on a rain-soaked night in east London.
Now, however, Chisora can continue his career under the umbrella of the British Board and will fight on Warren's April 20 Wembley Arena show in a 10-round bout as planned.
"I'm glad that this whole episode is finally behind me and I can carry on with my boxing career in my own country and with a British Boxing Board of Control license," Chisora said.
"I would like to thank everyone who has kept faith me over the troubled months and I look forward to repaying their loyalty with my performances in the ring as opposed to my action outside of it.
"I'd like to particularly thank the Luxembourg Boxing Federation for their support."
Warren added: "I'm delighted that the British Boxing Board Control has made the right decision and re-instated Dereck's license and the slate is now clean.
"He is an exciting fighter who always gives 100%.
"We will announce who Dereck will be fighting at Wembley Arena shortly but it's great to have him back in action and we've got some big plans for him."
Latest in Sport
Nicolas Otamendi to Manchester United: Club 'agree to sign' £36m-rated centre-back
Paul Scholes on Raheem Sterling: Moving between Liverpool and Manchester United still an issue
Paul Scholes: I'm sticking my neck out - Hull to win and Newcastle to be relegated on final day
Premier League 2015/16 kits: Confirmed and rumoured strips from Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and others
Manchester United transfer news: Louis van Gaal weighs up move for Bastian Schweinsteiger
- 1 JK Rowling horrified by Harry Potter actor Matthew Lewis's raunchy photoshoot
- 2 As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
- 3 Georgia Army veteran arrested for breaking window to save dog has charges dropped
- 4 New Zealand 'the best country to work as a prostitute', says sex worker advocacy group
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Labour leadership: Battle lines are drawn as members battle over party's ideology at first hustings of the contest
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Graduate UI Application Developer - ...
£45000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: B2B Marketing Manager (Events, Digit...
£30 - 35k: Guru Careers: A Senior Account Manager / SAM is needed to join the ...