Boxing: Hatton goes home to Manchester
Ricky Hatton will return to the ring at the home of his beloved Manchester City on 24 May when he defends his International Boxing Organisation light-welterweight title against Mexico's Juan Lazcano. It will be the first fight for Hatton since his defeat in Las Vegas last December at the fists of Floyd Mayweather and it will be his first fight in Manchester for three years.
Last week Hatton announced that his future fights in America would be promoted by Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy company, but this fight is likely to be put on at the City of Manchester stadium by Frank Maloney, Hatton and his father, Ray, and music company SJM.
Lazcano, who will be 33 when the contest takes place, has not fought since February last year and this fight has far more to do with a homecoming for Hatton than a test. Last year over 40,000 British fans travelled to Las Vegas to see Hatton's defeat to Mayweather and he promised one more fight in Manchester. There is every reason to believe that it could be his last ever fight in Britain.
Latest in Sport
Wow - what a weekend for British Motorcycle racing!
by Luke Wilkins
22 May 2013 05:00 AM
The dust is barely settling on the Premier League season and the bookies are looking to persuade us ...
by Gareth Purnell
22 May 2013 02:01 AM
The guard has changed at Old Trafford for the first time in 26 years. Meanwhile, down the road, the ...
by The Sports Lawyer
21 May 2013 10:01 PM
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 4 Eyewitness gives extraordinary account of her confrontation with Woolwich attackers
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL might have a sinister plan as a soldier is murdered in suspected Islamic terrorist attack
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.