Boxing: Juergen Braehmer pulls out of Nathan Cleverly title fight
Nathan Cleverly's world title challenge on Saturday has been scrapped after WBO light-heavyweight champion Juergen Braehmer pulled out today.
Welshman Cleverly is already the 'interim' title holder and had been set to face the outright champion at the 02 Arena in London on Saturday.
However, an eye injury suffered in training has seemingly forced the German out of the bout to leave Cleverly frustrated. The Welshman's promoter Frank Warren is thought to be lobbying the WBO to strip Braehmer and upgrade his fighter to full champion status or let him fight for the vacant belt this weekend.
The 02 Arena card will still go ahead, with the joint headline fight between British super-middleweight champion James DeGale and fierce rival George Groves the bigger draw anyway.
Braehmer's stock is already low due to the 32-year-old having only defended his belt once since winning it in 2009 while also pulling out of a January unification fight with Beibut Shumenov.
Cleverly, meanwhile, has been preparing for his defining night and training to face a southpaw. The 24-year-old suffered similar frustration in his last fight in December when Alejandro Lakatos pulled out of their fight for the interim title and he had to face late-notice replacement Nadjib Mohammedi instead.
The Cefn Forest fighter told Sky Sports News: "I'm absolutely devastated, to be honest. He's ducked out of fighting me.
"I knew he didn't want the fight with me so I was a bit anxious, I knew he was a temperamental character and had a feeling he wouldn't turn up.
"I can't understand the mentality. He's taken the easy route and decided not to fight me, and it's so frustrating."
Latest in Sport
Chelsea victory parade mocked on Twitter as 'tens of fans' pack the streets of London
Jack Wilshere wins Match of the Day Goal of the Season award after Arsenal fans hijack vote
Young Preston fan has play-off hero Jermaine Beckford's shirt stolen from him at Wembley - which then appears for sale on Gumtree
Chelsea victory parade: Fans chuck celery at Sky News presenter ahead of champion's parade through London
Welcome to West Ham United: the home of deluded fans and the most clueless owners
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 Chelsea victory parade mocked on Twitter as 'tens of fans' pack the streets of London
- 3 US warned by Chinese media to stop meddling or 'war will be inevitable'
- 4 Woman, 21, dies after taking contraceptive pill that 'caused fatal blood clot'
- 5 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...
£27K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Pastry Sous Chef / Experienced Pastry Che...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + competitive: SThree: Are you a recent graduate loo...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + competitive: SThree: Did you know? SThree is a mul...