Boxing: Khan to challenge for world title

Britain's Amir Khan will face Andreas Kotelnik of Ukraine for the WBA world light-welterweight title in June, his promoter Frank Warren said today.

"To fight for the world title in only my 22nd fight and at the age of just 22 is fantastic," Khan said in a statement, adding that the fight would be in Britain.

The former Olympic silver medallist, who will step up a division for his first crack at a world title, beat Mexico's seasoned campaigner Antonio Barerra in March.

"Amir put in a sensational performance against a three-time world champion and future Hall of Famer in Barrera in only his 21st fight and now he has to produce the same form against Kotelnik who is a good, hard fighter," Warren added.

Germany-based Kotelnik, like Khan a former Olympic silver medallist, has made two successful title defences against Norio Kimura and Marcos Rene Maidana with both wins on points.

The 31-year-old (31-2-1), who has never been stopped, is no stranger to Britain, having fought three times there already.

He lost a European title fight to Britain's Junior Witter in 2005, then drew with WBA world champion Souleymane M'Baye of France in 2007 before beating another Briton, Gavin Rees, for the WBA title last year.

"I've seen Kotelnik a few times and I've always been impressed by him but once my trainer Freddie Roach works out the game plan to beat him it's my job to execute it on the night as I did effectively against Barrera," Khan said.

Khan (21-1-0), who has fought mainly in the lightweight division, said the venue for the June 27 fight would be confirmed shortly. His only defeat was to Colombian Breidis Prescott in September when he was knocked out in Manchester.