Cycling: Chavez charges for stage victory
Saturday 12 May 2012
Colombian rider Miguel Angel Rubiano Chavez won the hilly sixth stage of the Giro d'Italia yesterday with a long breakaway, though Italy's Adriano Malori took the overall lead.
Rubiano Chavez was one of several who broke away 23km into the 210km and charged in front alone for the final 30km.
"At first I was just aiming for the mountain points, but then when I heard how far behind the group was I decided to take a risk and it went well," said Rubiano Chavez.
Latest in Sport
Wow - what a weekend for British Motorcycle racing!
by Luke Wilkins
22 May 2013 05:00 AM
The dust is barely settling on the Premier League season and the bookies are looking to persuade us ...
by Gareth Purnell
22 May 2013 02:01 AM
The guard has changed at Old Trafford for the first time in 26 years. Meanwhile, down the road, the ...
by The Sports Lawyer
21 May 2013 10:01 PM
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 4 Eyewitness gives extraordinary account of her confrontation with Woolwich attackers
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL might have a sinister plan as a soldier is murdered in suspected Islamic terrorist attack
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.