Cycling: Geraint Thomas leads Down Under
Wednesday 23 January 2013
Team Sky's Geraint Thomas took the lead of the Tour Down Under with a dramatic win on stage two to Rostrevor.
The Welshman, part of Great Britain's gold medal-winning team pursuit line-ups at the last two Olympics, made a bold break on the daunting Corkscrew Hill climb and was rewarded with victory in a sprint finish.
"I felt good from the start," Thomas said afterwards. "The boys worked well for me all day.
"I've worked hard all the winter and since the track all I've been thinking about is the road. You know, this year that's what kept me racing after the Games, like after Beijing I was out having a lash for a few months but this time I was straight back on the road thinking about this year."
Thomas avoided a late pile-up which took down the world champion Philippe Gilbert and edged out Movistar's Javier Moreno for the stage win, with Ben Hermans third for RadioShack.
The same trio occupy the podium positions in the general classification, with Thomas holding a five-second lead.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Very Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: NORTH HAMPSHIRE NQ to MID LEVEL - An e...
Highly Attractive Pakage: Austen Lloyd: MANCHESTER - A highly attractive oppor...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Marketing Manager (Campaigns, Offlin...
£90000 - £135000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Marketing (B2C, Acquisition...