Cycling: Heat forces out weary Cavendish
Wednesday 24 August 2011
Mark Cavendish was forced to pull out of the Tour of Spain yesterday owing to heat exhaustion. The riders have been subjected to fierce heat in the last few days, and the temperature got the better of the Manx sprinter during the fourth stage.
Cavendish's preparations for the World Championships road race in Copenhagen on 25 September will now be disrupted as he needs special dispensation to compete in warm-up races.
Spanish cyclist Daniel Moreno won yesterday's stage while Sylvain Chavanel is the overall leader. A strong-looking Bradley Wiggins is well in contention.
Latest in Sport
Monaco is a street circuit where driver ability is more important than anywhere else and if we take ...
by Gareth Purnell
24 May 2013 02:00 AM
Three weeks ago as I drove off the Eurostar, I remember thinking what a very long time it was until ...
by Martin Ayres
23 May 2013 05:29 PM
McDowell did brilliantly to land the World Match Play title in Bulgaria last week, but it’s a format...
by Gareth Purnell
23 May 2013 09:13 AM
- 1 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder victim of Woolwich machete attack, named as Drummer Lee Rigby
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 3 Grace Dent: I’m not sure how these people can avoid being called ‘bigots’. And the more ‘civilised’, the worse they are
- 4 Woolwich murder: They killed, then they performed - these men should be starved of our attention
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.