Skiing: Walchhofer flying in farewell season
Thursday 30 December 2010
Austria's Michael Walchhofer added another victory to his farewell season yesterday, becoming the first skier to win the gruelling World Cup downhill on the Stelvio course three times.
Walchhofer, who has already announced he will retire at the end of this season, clocked 1 minute, 59.66 on the circuit's most physically demanding layout for his third victory this season and the 18th of his career.
"Winning three times on this difficult slope – maybe the most technical course on the circuit – really means a lot to me," Walchhofer said. "It's a perfect start to the season."
Silvan Zurbriggen of Switzerland was the only other skier to break two minutes, finishing a mere 0.08 seconds behind in second. Christof Innerhofer of Italy was third, 0.36 back. Bode Miller finished eighth, matching his best result this season.
Latest in Sport
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
£7 - £10 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This care provider is looking for Home ...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's leading web des...
£27000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A growing, successful, friendly...
£16000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This family owned, independent ...