Snooker: White tribute as Higgins laid to rest
Tuesday 03 August 2010
The coffin of snooker player Alex Higgins WAs carried by his son Jordan and the former snooker player Jimmy White (back) from his family home in Belfast, Northern Ireland yesterday.
More than 400 people, including snooker stars Stephen Hendry, Ken Doherty, Willie Thorne, Shaun Murphy and John Virgo, packed St Anne's Church of Ireland Cathedral in the city. White paid tribute to Higgins at the service. "He was mind-blowing," he said. "He did things I'd never seen before. He was 'The Hurricane'. I will miss him to the end." Higgins, 61, died last month after a battle with throat cancer and alcohol.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Home Office says Nigerian asylum-seeker can’t be a lesbian as she’s got children
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 4 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway amid dense fog
- 5 Apple and Google users being spied on for a decade because of 'Freak' security flaw
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Outspoken Putin critic who had expressed fears for his life is killed near the Kremlin
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This firm are focussed on assis...
£7 per hour: Recruitment Genius: A vacancy has arisen for a General Processor ...
£18000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A great opportunity has arisen ...
£14000 - £16000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Full time and Part time positio...