Something For The Weekend: 06/08/2011
Saturday 06 August 2011
It's squeaky-bum time for...
...contenders in the title race
It's the football season again, and with that comes hyperbole and outlandish statements.
So how about this one: tomorrow's big game will have an influence on the outcome of the title race. Granted, there is a friendly down the road at Wembley tomorrow, but the other big one features Cardiff at West Ham in the Championship. That's the perennial promotion nearly-men with a new manager in Malky Mackay visiting the title favourites – who also have a new man in charge in Sam Allardyce. Big Sam is typically bullish ahead of the gruelling nine-month scrap. But Cardiff and Mackay are experienced Championship heavyweights, well capable of landing an early knockout punch.
Stories you might have missed
Full steam ahead for Derby
"This club is not aligned to any political party but we support the campaign to make the Government think again," said Derby County this week. Leaving aside that it's difficult to imagine any of the Clough family as dyed-in-the-wool Tories or even Lib Dems, Nigel is joining the fight to save jobs at Bombardier, the local train-maker which lost out to Germany's Siemens in the bid for a £1.4bn Thameslink contract. Nigel's dad had no small amount of success against mainland Europe, of course, so little wonder Junior is getting involved. The Derby players will wear "Save Our Rail Industry" T-shirts before today's home match against Birmingham – another manufacturing city with an axe to grind in Whitehall. Out of small acorns, Nigel...
Have you been paying attention?
1. Which world record did Warwickshire's Rikki Clarke equal this week?
2. Which landmark did Jenson Button celebrate by winning the Hungarian Grand Prix?
3. How many Community Shields have Manchester United won on penalties in the last decade?
4. Who took India's final wicket during England's second Test victory at Trent Bridge?
5. Which two Rangers players were dismissed during their Champions League exit in Malmo?
Click here for the answers
Latest in Sport
Raheem Sterling to Manchester City: Winger to report for Liverpool training on Monday but Reds braced for third City bid this week
Women's World Cup 2015: England secure third place as they beat Germany in extra time with penalty by Fara Williams
Angel Di Maria and Marcos Rojo could miss Manchester United's crucial Champions League play-off due to Copa America run
PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
Nick Kyrgios fans show their support by smearing Vegemite and Nutella on their faces amid Wimbledon run
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
£7 - £10 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This care provider is looking for Home ...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's leading web des...
£27000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A growing, successful, friendly...
£16000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This family owned, independent ...