Something For The Weekend: 06/08/2011
Saturday 06 August 2011
It's squeaky-bum time for...
...contenders in the title race
It's the football season again, and with that comes hyperbole and outlandish statements.
So how about this one: tomorrow's big game will have an influence on the outcome of the title race. Granted, there is a friendly down the road at Wembley tomorrow, but the other big one features Cardiff at West Ham in the Championship. That's the perennial promotion nearly-men with a new manager in Malky Mackay visiting the title favourites – who also have a new man in charge in Sam Allardyce. Big Sam is typically bullish ahead of the gruelling nine-month scrap. But Cardiff and Mackay are experienced Championship heavyweights, well capable of landing an early knockout punch.
Stories you might have missed
Full steam ahead for Derby
"This club is not aligned to any political party but we support the campaign to make the Government think again," said Derby County this week. Leaving aside that it's difficult to imagine any of the Clough family as dyed-in-the-wool Tories or even Lib Dems, Nigel is joining the fight to save jobs at Bombardier, the local train-maker which lost out to Germany's Siemens in the bid for a £1.4bn Thameslink contract. Nigel's dad had no small amount of success against mainland Europe, of course, so little wonder Junior is getting involved. The Derby players will wear "Save Our Rail Industry" T-shirts before today's home match against Birmingham – another manufacturing city with an axe to grind in Whitehall. Out of small acorns, Nigel...
Have you been paying attention?
1. Which world record did Warwickshire's Rikki Clarke equal this week?
2. Which landmark did Jenson Button celebrate by winning the Hungarian Grand Prix?
3. How many Community Shields have Manchester United won on penalties in the last decade?
4. Who took India's final wicket during England's second Test victory at Trent Bridge?
5. Which two Rangers players were dismissed during their Champions League exit in Malmo?
Click here for the answers
Latest in Sport
Pornhub: Cheeky Liverpool fan uploads Philippe Coutinho wonder-goal video to adult website
Liverpool injury news: Brendan Rodgers could be without up to seven players for Burnley game... as Jordon Ibe posts picture of knee brace
Arsenal shareholders Stan Kroenke, Alisher Usmanov and Farhad Moshiri appear on Forbes' rich list - with a combined net worth of £14.9bn
Watch the moment a basketball player reassures a small boy after a mass brawl erupted on court
Jon Stewart brings The Daily Show to WWE Raw as Seth Rollins pays the price for feud with TV presenter
- 1 Home Office says Nigerian asylum-seeker can’t be a lesbian as she’s got children
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 4 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway amid dense fog
- 5 Apple and Google users being spied on for a decade because of 'Freak' security flaw
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Outspoken Putin critic who had expressed fears for his life is killed near the Kremlin
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This firm are focussed on assis...
£7 per hour: Recruitment Genius: A vacancy has arisen for a General Processor ...
£18000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A great opportunity has arisen ...
£14000 - £16000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Full time and Part time positio...