Something For The Weekend: 15/10/2011
Saturday 15 October 2011
It's squeaky bum time for...
Liverpool's new boys
Although it was Luis Suarez, not Andy Carroll, who decimated Manchester United in March, Liverpool spent the summer as if they were under the impression that what they needed was more overhyped, overpriced British players, in Carroll's distinctive mould.
So far this season Stewart Downing, Jordan Henderson and friends have lost to Spurs and Stoke, and only beat Everton and Arsenal once they had a man advantage. The new boys must justify their price tags today, or else Suarez will have to do it on his own again.
Stories you might have missed
Tattoo law hits England
Juan Pablo Pino, who, for not unfathomable reasons, left Turkey for Al Nassr in Saudi Arabia last summer. His tattooed arms, though, are unpopular and this week he was arrested by Saudi "moral police". If tattoos aren't allowed in the Gulf, England stand even less chance in the 2022 World Cup than we first thought.
Have you been paying attention?
1. Of the nine European Championship qualifying group winners, who are the only side never to have won the tournament?
2. How many losses did David Haye suffer in his 27-fight career?
3. Who scored Wales' try in their only previous World Cup semi-final?
4. How many points did Rafa Nadal win in the final set of the Japan Open final?
5. Who took five wickets in England's final warm-up match in India?
Latest in Sport
Preston fan who appeared to snatch Jermaine Beckford's shirt from eight-year-old boy identified and says: 'the truth will come out'
Premier League 2015/16 kits: Confirmed and rumoured strips from Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and others
Manchester United season player ratings: Grading Louis van Gaal's entire squad
Psychic penguins have made their pick for Arsenal vs Aston Villa in the FA Cup final...
Arsenal fan asks the Queen for tickets to the FA Cup final - gets a reply from Buckingham Palace
- 1 Autistic adults could take pure MDMA to 'reduce social anxiety'
- 2 Natalie Portman tells Harvard graduates: 'Accept your lack of knowledge'
- 3 Before you complain about your GP, this is what you need to know about actually doing the job
- 4 Father of 12 accused of raping, beating, starving and abusing his own children in US 'cult'
- 5 Charlie Charlie Challenge explained: not a Mexican demon being summoned — it's gravity
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: One of the South East's fastest growing full s...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£30000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Estimating, preparation of tech...
£14000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will work as part of a smal...