Something For The Weekend: 24/12/2011
Saturday 24 December 2011
It's squeaky bum time for...
'Tis the season to score runs. That may well be the mantra running through the mind of Ricky Ponting as Australia face India in the first Test In Melbourne on Christmas Day.
Ponting has been in very poor form by his own lofty standards, with inconsistency defining his recent Test record. In fact, the 36-year-old, who resigned as his country's captain in March, hasn't struck a century since recording a behemoth 209 against Pakistan in January last year. Perhaps treating his ears to Christmas songs will raise his spirits and display when he takes to the crease tomorrow.
Stories you might have missed
Altruistic John Terry
He may be drenched in off-field ignominy, but Chelsea's captain John Terry never hides in the face of adversity. After his team drew 1-1 with Tottenham at White Hart Lane, despite being subjected to a torrent of abuse from home fans during the game, Terry was spotted handing over his shirt to an elderly Spurs supporter in the stand.
Have you been paying attention?
1. Which veteran midfielder scored the 19,999th Premier League goal this week?
2. Prior to Mark Cavendish, who was the last cyclist to win Sports Personality of the Year?
3. Which cricketer had a statue of himself unveiled at Melbourne Cricket Club?
4. Which Scottish rugby player announced his international retirement?
5. Who remain the only side to stay up after being bottom of the Premier League at Christmas?
Latest in Sport
Pornhub: Cheeky Liverpool fan uploads Philippe Coutinho wonder-goal video to adult website
Diego Costa keeps coin thrown at him during Capital One Cup final
Lukas Podolski corner: Has the Arsenal forward taken the worst corner of all time?
Ireland 19 England 9 player ratings: Jonathan Sexton? Devin Toner? Alex Goode? Who was the star man in Dublin?
Eden Hazard didn't like the champagne on offer in the Chelsea dressing room
- 1 Bill Clinton portrait features Monica Lewinsky reference, artist admits
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 4 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 5 Average penis size revealed: Scientists attempt to find what is 'normal' to reassure concerned men
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Have you got a proven track rec...
£15000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a great opportunity for...
£38000 - £48000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This B2B content marketing agen...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: An outstanding new...