Something For The Weekend: 24/12/2011
Saturday 24 December 2011
It's squeaky bum time for...
'Tis the season to score runs. That may well be the mantra running through the mind of Ricky Ponting as Australia face India in the first Test In Melbourne on Christmas Day.
Ponting has been in very poor form by his own lofty standards, with inconsistency defining his recent Test record. In fact, the 36-year-old, who resigned as his country's captain in March, hasn't struck a century since recording a behemoth 209 against Pakistan in January last year. Perhaps treating his ears to Christmas songs will raise his spirits and display when he takes to the crease tomorrow.
Stories you might have missed
Altruistic John Terry
He may be drenched in off-field ignominy, but Chelsea's captain John Terry never hides in the face of adversity. After his team drew 1-1 with Tottenham at White Hart Lane, despite being subjected to a torrent of abuse from home fans during the game, Terry was spotted handing over his shirt to an elderly Spurs supporter in the stand.
Have you been paying attention?
1. Which veteran midfielder scored the 19,999th Premier League goal this week?
2. Prior to Mark Cavendish, who was the last cyclist to win Sports Personality of the Year?
3. Which cricketer had a statue of himself unveiled at Melbourne Cricket Club?
4. Which Scottish rugby player announced his international retirement?
5. Who remain the only side to stay up after being bottom of the Premier League at Christmas?
Dennis Rodman will coach the North Korea basketball team
Jennifer Lawrence attacks mass media again over body image
Latest in Sport
Arsenal can surprise Bayern Munich in the Champions League, says former midfielder Gilberto Silva
Liverpool - January transfer targets
Transfer news: Liverpool - January transfer targets
Transfer news: Manchester United - January transfer targets
Transfer news: Arsenal - Transfer targets for January
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 4 Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early
- 5 Children evacuated from swimming pool after prosthetic leg mistaken for paedophile
£500 - £550 per day: Cornwallis Elt : Business Analyst Target Operating Mod...
£10 - £12 per hour: Pro-Recruitment Group: An opportunity has arisen within th...
Flexible, Competitive, Weekly.: Randstad Education Cambridge: The JobRandstad ...
£9600 - £14400 per annum: Randstad Education Cambridge: Randstad Education are...