Something For The Weekend: 24/12/2011
Saturday 24 December 2011
It's squeaky bum time for...
'Tis the season to score runs. That may well be the mantra running through the mind of Ricky Ponting as Australia face India in the first Test In Melbourne on Christmas Day.
Ponting has been in very poor form by his own lofty standards, with inconsistency defining his recent Test record. In fact, the 36-year-old, who resigned as his country's captain in March, hasn't struck a century since recording a behemoth 209 against Pakistan in January last year. Perhaps treating his ears to Christmas songs will raise his spirits and display when he takes to the crease tomorrow.
Stories you might have missed
Altruistic John Terry
He may be drenched in off-field ignominy, but Chelsea's captain John Terry never hides in the face of adversity. After his team drew 1-1 with Tottenham at White Hart Lane, despite being subjected to a torrent of abuse from home fans during the game, Terry was spotted handing over his shirt to an elderly Spurs supporter in the stand.
Have you been paying attention?
1. Which veteran midfielder scored the 19,999th Premier League goal this week?
2. Prior to Mark Cavendish, who was the last cyclist to win Sports Personality of the Year?
3. Which cricketer had a statue of himself unveiled at Melbourne Cricket Club?
4. Which Scottish rugby player announced his international retirement?
5. Who remain the only side to stay up after being bottom of the Premier League at Christmas?
Latest in Sport
West Ham vs Arsenal match report: Sam Allardyce fumes at referee as Arsenal push on towards top four
Tottenham vs Manchester United match report: Hugo Lloris blocks Manchester United from putting pressure on Premier League title rivals
Liverpool vs Swansea preview: 'Jonjo Shelvey is lazy, he needs to wise up,' says Garry Monk
Arsenal transfer news: William Carvalho to be subject of £20m bid
West Ham 1 Arsenal 2 player ratings: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain? Andy Carroll? Alexis Sanchez? Who was the star man?
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 Doctors remove 80 teeth from boy's jaw
- 3 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 5 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
£32000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Business Manager is required ...
£45000 - £55000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Panel Wireman required for small electro...
£25000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An SME based in East Cheshire, ...