Something For The Weekend: 27/08/2011
Saturday 27 August 2011
It's squeaky-bum time for...
The most relentless man in motor racing history returns today to the scene of his debut.
Twenty years ago he started his glorious career at Spa-Francorchamps, the Belgian course on which he will race tomorrow. In 1991 he was with Jordan, but now, at Mercedes, he is back to struggling in the middle of the pack. Tenth in the drivers' standings, he is not even the leading driver at Mercedes GP, 16 points behind Nico Rosberg. Long gone are his epic duels with Damon Hill or Jacques Villeneuve. Rather, he has to be satisfied in 2011 with a desperate scramble against Vitaly Petrov and Adrian Sutil. Of course, there will be no sentimentality this weekend. This is Schumacher. But who, despite everything, could still begrudge him one last podium spot?
Stories you might have missed
Nasri's claims shouted down
When Samir Nasri signed for Manchester City, he offered an unusual explanation. The Etihad Stadium, apparently, has a much superior atmosphere to that at the Emirates. This will surprise anyone who has been to both, as they are bad and for the same reasons. Arsene Wenger, always quick to justify himself with data, could turn to a fanchants.com survey on this topic. Last season Arsenal struggled to mid-table, recording an average of 77 decibels at the Emirates. This 11th-placed finish was clearly not enough for Nasri. But City, his beloved new employers, finished even lower: their 71 decibels, in 13th place, landing somewhere in between Wigan's echoey DW Stadium and Birmingham City's docile St Andrew's. Maybe Nasri had another motivation after all.
Have you been paying attention?
1. Which legendary figure was left frustrated with a 91 at The Oval last week?
2. Why did Patrick Sullivan and Stephen O'Donnell make the headlines in Serbia?
3. Which 25-year-old was named man of the series in England's 4-0 Test victory over India?
4. Who knocked England women out of the EuroHockey Nations Championships at the semi-final stage?
5. How much is Samuel Eto'o reported to be earning per year at new club Anzhi Makhachkala?
Latest in Sport
Arsenal transfer news: Atletico Madrid closing in on Santi Cazorla - reports
Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger set to cancel moves for Sami Khedira and Morgan Schneiderlin in favour of Jack Wilshere - reports
Arturo Vidal: Manchester United bid £39m for Juventus midfielder
Chelsea transfer news: Jose Mourinho wants both Thibaut Courtois and Petr Cech to stay at Stamford Bridge
Malaysian cyclist could face disciplinary action after 'Save Gaza' gloves protest
- 1 Malaysian cyclist could face disciplinary action after 'Save Gaza' gloves protest
- 2 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 3 Fifty Shades of Grey trailer provokes moral outrage from US parenting groups
- 4 McDonald’s removes chicken nuggets from the menu in Hong Kong amid major food scare
- 5 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
£600 - £650 per day: Orgtel: Conduct Risk Liaison Manager - Banking - London -...
Highly Attractive Package: Austen Lloyd: CITY - COMMERCIAL LITIGATION - GLOBAL...
£65000 - £75000 per annum + Benefits: Progressive Recruitment: The client is a...
£40000 - £45000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A well-established software house ba...