Something For The Weekend: 27/08/2011
Saturday 27 August 2011
It's squeaky-bum time for...
The most relentless man in motor racing history returns today to the scene of his debut.
Twenty years ago he started his glorious career at Spa-Francorchamps, the Belgian course on which he will race tomorrow. In 1991 he was with Jordan, but now, at Mercedes, he is back to struggling in the middle of the pack. Tenth in the drivers' standings, he is not even the leading driver at Mercedes GP, 16 points behind Nico Rosberg. Long gone are his epic duels with Damon Hill or Jacques Villeneuve. Rather, he has to be satisfied in 2011 with a desperate scramble against Vitaly Petrov and Adrian Sutil. Of course, there will be no sentimentality this weekend. This is Schumacher. But who, despite everything, could still begrudge him one last podium spot?
Stories you might have missed
Nasri's claims shouted down
When Samir Nasri signed for Manchester City, he offered an unusual explanation. The Etihad Stadium, apparently, has a much superior atmosphere to that at the Emirates. This will surprise anyone who has been to both, as they are bad and for the same reasons. Arsene Wenger, always quick to justify himself with data, could turn to a fanchants.com survey on this topic. Last season Arsenal struggled to mid-table, recording an average of 77 decibels at the Emirates. This 11th-placed finish was clearly not enough for Nasri. But City, his beloved new employers, finished even lower: their 71 decibels, in 13th place, landing somewhere in between Wigan's echoey DW Stadium and Birmingham City's docile St Andrew's. Maybe Nasri had another motivation after all.
Have you been paying attention?
1. Which legendary figure was left frustrated with a 91 at The Oval last week?
2. Why did Patrick Sullivan and Stephen O'Donnell make the headlines in Serbia?
3. Which 25-year-old was named man of the series in England's 4-0 Test victory over India?
4. Who knocked England women out of the EuroHockey Nations Championships at the semi-final stage?
5. How much is Samuel Eto'o reported to be earning per year at new club Anzhi Makhachkala?
Latest in Sport
Arsenal have no plans to stock Petr Cech inspired caps in their club shops - yet
Morgan Schneiderlin to Manchester United: Saints yet to receive 'serious offer' but midfielder could complete move by end of this week
Radamel Falcao to Chelsea: Former Manchester United striker 'signs contract' to join Blues and is told to meet up with squad on pre-season tour
Venezuelan TV host gets completely naked while reporting on Copa America win over Colombia
Manchester United transfer news: Javier Hernandez nears exit as Liverpool eye move for striker despite revealing Real Madrid video
- 1 Kim Jong-un shows off airport designed by architect he likely had executed
- 2 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 3 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 4 Fifty Shades of Grey author E.L James's Twitter Q&A didn't go exactly as planned
- 5 Facebook rainbow profile pictures likely being tracked by social network
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Pentagon accuses Russia of 'playing with fire' over nuclear threats towards Nato
They are neither a 'state' nor 'Islamic': Why we shouldn't call them Isis, Isil or IS
Tunisia beach attack: How can British Muslims respond to the latest outrages?
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An exciting opportunity has ari...
£15000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An On-line Sales & Customer Ser...
£15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the largest hospitality companies...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: As a result of significant cont...