Something For The Weekend: 27/08/2011
Saturday 27 August 2011
It's squeaky-bum time for...
The most relentless man in motor racing history returns today to the scene of his debut.
Twenty years ago he started his glorious career at Spa-Francorchamps, the Belgian course on which he will race tomorrow. In 1991 he was with Jordan, but now, at Mercedes, he is back to struggling in the middle of the pack. Tenth in the drivers' standings, he is not even the leading driver at Mercedes GP, 16 points behind Nico Rosberg. Long gone are his epic duels with Damon Hill or Jacques Villeneuve. Rather, he has to be satisfied in 2011 with a desperate scramble against Vitaly Petrov and Adrian Sutil. Of course, there will be no sentimentality this weekend. This is Schumacher. But who, despite everything, could still begrudge him one last podium spot?
Stories you might have missed
Nasri's claims shouted down
When Samir Nasri signed for Manchester City, he offered an unusual explanation. The Etihad Stadium, apparently, has a much superior atmosphere to that at the Emirates. This will surprise anyone who has been to both, as they are bad and for the same reasons. Arsene Wenger, always quick to justify himself with data, could turn to a fanchants.com survey on this topic. Last season Arsenal struggled to mid-table, recording an average of 77 decibels at the Emirates. This 11th-placed finish was clearly not enough for Nasri. But City, his beloved new employers, finished even lower: their 71 decibels, in 13th place, landing somewhere in between Wigan's echoey DW Stadium and Birmingham City's docile St Andrew's. Maybe Nasri had another motivation after all.
Have you been paying attention?
1. Which legendary figure was left frustrated with a 91 at The Oval last week?
2. Why did Patrick Sullivan and Stephen O'Donnell make the headlines in Serbia?
3. Which 25-year-old was named man of the series in England's 4-0 Test victory over India?
4. Who knocked England women out of the EuroHockey Nations Championships at the semi-final stage?
5. How much is Samuel Eto'o reported to be earning per year at new club Anzhi Makhachkala?
Latest in Sport
- 1 Woman falls to her death as she celebrates marriage proposal at the edge of Ibiza cliff
- 2 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 4 Dad attempts revenge on teenage daughter, plan backfires spectacularly
- 5 Ball pool for adults opens in London
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
King Abdullah dead: We can't afford not to hold Saudi Arabia's royals to account
Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: My client is an excellent, large partially ...
£90 - £140 per day: Tradewind Recruitment: I am currently working in partnersh...
£100 - £150 per day: Tradewind Recruitment: Year 3 Teacher Birmingham Jan 2015...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + Excellent benefits: Ashdown Group: Lead Web Develo...