It's squeaky-bum time for...
The most relentless man in motor racing history returns today to the scene of his debut.
Twenty years ago he started his glorious career at Spa-Francorchamps, the Belgian course on which he will race tomorrow. In 1991 he was with Jordan, but now, at Mercedes, he is back to struggling in the middle of the pack. Tenth in the drivers' standings, he is not even the leading driver at Mercedes GP, 16 points behind Nico Rosberg. Long gone are his epic duels with Damon Hill or Jacques Villeneuve. Rather, he has to be satisfied in 2011 with a desperate scramble against Vitaly Petrov and Adrian Sutil. Of course, there will be no sentimentality this weekend. This is Schumacher. But who, despite everything, could still begrudge him one last podium spot?
Stories you might have missed
Nasri's claims shouted down
When Samir Nasri signed for Manchester City, he offered an unusual explanation. The Etihad Stadium, apparently, has a much superior atmosphere to that at the Emirates. This will surprise anyone who has been to both, as they are bad and for the same reasons. Arsene Wenger, always quick to justify himself with data, could turn to a fanchants.com survey on this topic. Last season Arsenal struggled to mid-table, recording an average of 77 decibels at the Emirates. This 11th-placed finish was clearly not enough for Nasri. But City, his beloved new employers, finished even lower: their 71 decibels, in 13th place, landing somewhere in between Wigan's echoey DW Stadium and Birmingham City's docile St Andrew's. Maybe Nasri had another motivation after all.
Have you been paying attention?
1. Which legendary figure was left frustrated with a 91 at The Oval last week?
2. Why did Patrick Sullivan and Stephen O'Donnell make the headlines in Serbia?
3. Which 25-year-old was named man of the series in England's 4-0 Test victory over India?
4. Who knocked England women out of the EuroHockey Nations Championships at the semi-final stage?
5. How much is Samuel Eto'o reported to be earning per year at new club Anzhi Makhachkala?Reuse content