Something For The Weekend: 27/08/2011
Saturday 27 August 2011
It's squeaky-bum time for...
The most relentless man in motor racing history returns today to the scene of his debut.
Twenty years ago he started his glorious career at Spa-Francorchamps, the Belgian course on which he will race tomorrow. In 1991 he was with Jordan, but now, at Mercedes, he is back to struggling in the middle of the pack. Tenth in the drivers' standings, he is not even the leading driver at Mercedes GP, 16 points behind Nico Rosberg. Long gone are his epic duels with Damon Hill or Jacques Villeneuve. Rather, he has to be satisfied in 2011 with a desperate scramble against Vitaly Petrov and Adrian Sutil. Of course, there will be no sentimentality this weekend. This is Schumacher. But who, despite everything, could still begrudge him one last podium spot?
Stories you might have missed
Nasri's claims shouted down
When Samir Nasri signed for Manchester City, he offered an unusual explanation. The Etihad Stadium, apparently, has a much superior atmosphere to that at the Emirates. This will surprise anyone who has been to both, as they are bad and for the same reasons. Arsene Wenger, always quick to justify himself with data, could turn to a fanchants.com survey on this topic. Last season Arsenal struggled to mid-table, recording an average of 77 decibels at the Emirates. This 11th-placed finish was clearly not enough for Nasri. But City, his beloved new employers, finished even lower: their 71 decibels, in 13th place, landing somewhere in between Wigan's echoey DW Stadium and Birmingham City's docile St Andrew's. Maybe Nasri had another motivation after all.
Have you been paying attention?
1. Which legendary figure was left frustrated with a 91 at The Oval last week?
2. Why did Patrick Sullivan and Stephen O'Donnell make the headlines in Serbia?
3. Which 25-year-old was named man of the series in England's 4-0 Test victory over India?
4. Who knocked England women out of the EuroHockey Nations Championships at the semi-final stage?
5. How much is Samuel Eto'o reported to be earning per year at new club Anzhi Makhachkala?
Latest in Sport
Arsenal transfer news: Karim Benzema, Edinson Cavani and Gregorz Krychowiak were all linked but Wenger and Gunners fail on deadline day
Arsenal transfer news: Gunners fans devastated as they become only team in top 5 European leagues not to sign outfield player
David De Gea: Manchester United in bitter war of words with Real Madrid over failed transfer
David De Gea, Peter Odemwingie and the 18 weirdest transfer deadline day stories
Tottenham completed transfers: Toby Alderweireld and Kieran Trippier join but time's up for Paulinho and Etienne Capoue
- 1 Three-year-old ultra-Orthodox Jewish children told 'the non-Jews' are 'evil' in worksheet produced by London school
- 2 Moscow voted the world's unfriendliest city
- 3 The excuses your boss is most likely to believe when you call in sick
- 4 I'm pansexual – here are the five biggest misconceptions about my sexuality
- 5 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
Tony Blair attacks Jeremy Corbyn's 'Alice In Wonderland' politics
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
This is a volunteer role with paid expenses : Belong: Seeking volunteers who c...
£12000 - £15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An admin assistant is required ...
£16500 - £17500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are looking to recruit an ...
£18000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...